Great list today plus what I’m currently reading!!
A few to check out already, that look so good! After the Rain (that one to the left sounds like it wants to break my heart!), Determined to Obey (remember that scene in Captive #2? The two slaves…? This is his book!), Illusion (I WANT TO READ THIS SO BAD! Kidnapped with a stranger and left on a deserted island!?? YES PLEASE!), Love, in Spanish (’cause I LOVED book #1 like crazy!), A Little Lost (that BLURB!!! “…now Kyle’s back. With his fiancé…”), and a bunch more I noted below…
P.S. Let me know if I’m missing any or if you loved any (from this list or elsewhere).
BARGAINS (NOTE: bargain priced when I added them, but prices can change on Amazon, so make sure to check before you finalize your order).
- Nine Minutes by Beth Flynn <— This is the one I’m reading now ’cause our fellow readers are going nuts for it! BIKERS and she was kidnapped by ’em!!
- The Vixen and the Vet by Katy Regnery <— this one sounds so good! He’s ex-military and living like a hermit… and Nancy found it on sale! She says: “Just recently finished reading THE VIXEN AND THE VET by Kate Regnery & anyone who knows me that I love those recluse men stories. This was a beauty & the beast type story…”
- Leo by Mia Sheridan <— Great read!! Chrissy found it on sale saying: “Maryse Mia Asher’s Leo is on sale currently…” Here is my review: Leo.
- Filthy Beautiful Lies by Kendall Ryan <— the latest in the series was just released (see it below), so book #1 is on sale! Stephanie found it saying: “A sinfully seductive erotic romance where everything has a price and the cost of love is the highest of all.“
- NOCTE (The Nocte Trilogy Book 1) by Courtney Cole <— Back on the list ’cause our fellow readers are LOVING it! Susan says: “I don’t know if anyone has read Nocte by Courtney Cole yet but it is a fantastic, mind blowing read. 5+ stars from me. Anxiously awaiting the next in this series, Verdum” and Debbie agrees: “I loved this book!”
- Mr. Insatiable by Serenity Woods <— Only super-sale today! “Enya’s been curious about Kit’s bedroom exploits ever since his ex-girlfriend spilled the beans about his…skill. But he’s not for her. Enya can’t provide what he wants from life, especially not between the sheets.”
- Executive Seduction by Jennifer Probst <— On super-sale!! “Chandler Santell has successfully avoided rich and powerful men who believe more in money than in people. But when her Yoga and Arts Center is on the verge of financial ruin, there’s only one man who can help her: Logan Grant–the most ruthless CEO in the finance industry. He’s her only hope and she’s willing to do anything to save her dream…”
- Take (Temptation Series Book 2) by Ella Frank <— Fans of “Try (Temptation Series Book 1)” (that super-steamy M/M book that so many went nuts for) can rejoice! Book #2 (this one) is on super sale!!
- Kiss Me Forever (Bachelors & Bridesmaids #1) by Barbara Freethy <— Recent release that I missed, so here it is!!
- Braving Fate (The Mythean Arcana Series Book 1) by Linsey Hall
- Rogue Soul (The Mythean Arcana Series Book 3) by Linsey Hall
- Assassins Bite (Biting Love) by Mary Hughes
- Furious Fire (Grimm’s Circle Book 8) by Shiloh Walker
- Kiss of Christmas Magic: 20 Paranormal Holiday Tales of Werewolves, Shifters, Vampires, Elves, Witches, Dragons, Fey, Ghosts, and More by Eve Langlais, Aubrey Rose, Molly Prince, Deanna Chase, Mandy M. Roth, Michelle M. Pillow, Angie Fox, Mimi Strong, Viola Rivard, Michele Bardsley, V. M. Black, Lola St. Vil, Terah Edun, Jessa Slade, Chloe Cole, Cristina Rayne, Shawntelle Madison, J. S. Hope, Carina Wilder, Dawn Michelle, Jessica Ryan
- Her Warriors: (BBW paranormal shapeshifter romance) (String of Fate Book 4) by Bianca D’Arc
- After the Rain: A Novel by Renee Carlino <— ANGST ALERT!! This one sounds like it’ll hurt! “When eighteen-year-old Avelina Belo meets a charismatic cowboy the summer before her senior year of high school, she doesn’t know that accepting his invitation to dinner will lead to a whirlwind marriage three months later and an exciting new life on a Montana ranch. She also doesn’t know that, in a few short years, fate will send everything crashing down around her.”
- Determined to Obey by CJ Roberts <— Remember that slave guy in Captive in the Dark series? Here he is!! P.S. If you haven’t read this dark series, you MUST! Here is my review for book #1: Captive in the Dark. And here is the The Dark Duet Series Reading Order.
- Nights With Him: (Seductive Nights: Michelle and Jack) by Lauren Blakely
- Illusion (Swept Away Book 1) by J.S. Cooper <— Oh kidnapped and left on a deserted island with a stranger… “Bianca finds herself kidnapped and locked up in a van with a strange man. Ten hours later, they’re dumped on a deserted island. Bianca has no idea what’s going on and her attraction to this stranger is the only thing keeping her fear at bay.”
- Captured Love by Juliana Haygert
- A tide too high by Carole Brungar <— he’s a wealthy businessman with a pending divorce and she’s a famous rock star, trying to recuperate in private…
- Filthy Beautiful Lust (Filthy Beautiful Lies Book 3) by Kendall Ryan
- City of Champions (A Gateway to Love Novel Book 2) by Chloe T. Barlow <— SPORTS STAR ALERT! “When injured NFL quarterback Wyatt McCoy bulldozes into her life there’s no denying he’s cocky, selfish, and downright dangerous — everything Jenna’s sworn she doesn’t want.”
- Recoil (Banjaxed Book 3) by Max Henry <— Okay I admit it. The cover got me. Sooooo dark looking. But since it’s book #3, I didn’t read the synopsis.
- Belonging 3 (The Belonging Series) by J.S. Wilder
- I Dare You! (Moments in Maplesville Book 4) by Farrah Rochon
- Beyond Possession (Beyond, Novella #5.5) by Kit Rocha <— SUPER STEAMY (and I mean *eyebuggingly so!!) post-apocalyptic series that is rocking so many of our worlds! Here is my review of book #1: Beyond Shame and here is the Beyond Series Reading Order.
- At the Billionaire’s Wedding by Caroline Linden, Katharine Ashe, Miranda Neville, Maya Rodale
- Misjudged (A Death Dwellers Novella) by Kathryn Kelly <— BIKER BOOK ALERT! He’s the president and he’s having issues with his old lady…
- Casual Encounter Vol. 1 by M.S. Parker <— left at the altar…
- The Broken Tethers That Bind Us by Ker Dukey
- Rock My Body (Black Falcon, #4) by Michelle A. Valentine <— Super popular series (here’s the Black Falcon Series Reading Order)
- Breathless (The Chasing Hearts Series Book 2) by Vanessa Marie
- Love, in Spanish: (A Love, in English sequel) by Karina Halle <—- I LOVVVVED book #1 like CRAZY, so I’m excited about #2! (Here’s my 5-star review of #1: Love, in English)
- A Love of Vengeance (Wanted Men Book 1) by Nancy Haviland <— MAFIA ROMANCE!! (Italian mafia and Russian mob): “In this pulse-pounding romantic thriller set against the backdrop of New York City’s storied underworld, loyalties will be tested, secrets will be told, and mob justice will be served.“
- Promises After Dark (After Dark Series, Book 3) by Kahlen Aymes
- The Prelude of Ella and Micha (A Novella) (The Secret) by Jessica Sorensen
- Red Light, Green Light (Are You Game?) by Rhian Cahill
- Accepting Fate (Destiny Book 2) by Deanna Chase
- A Little Lost by R.S Burnett <— Sounds angsty (and says it was previously published as “hope”). Here is a bit from the blurb. I think you’ll agree this one sounds intriguing: “Kyle left our home for work and I never saw him again. I didn’t know why he left, where he went or if he was ever coming back. That was two years ago and a lot has changed since then, like, I’m now with Chris, he’s nice. I have a great group of friends and despite what’s happening in my life, I can still smile. But now Kyle’s back. With his fiancé. Everyone thinks that my sudden change for the worst is because of them, they think I’m going to try and stop the wedding. I don’t bother correcting them, I let them think what they want because the reality is so much worse. I have a secret. One that’s no getting any better and one that I’m never going to get over.“
- Owned: An Alpha Anthology by Jani Kay, Chelle Bliss, Nina Levine, Pepper Winters, Lilliana Anderson, Lesley Jones, Lyra Parish, Lila Rose, Callie Hart <— ANTHOLOGY!!!
- The Billionaire’s Marriage Proposal (The Romero Brothers, Book 8) by Shadonna Richards
- Anarchist Book 3: (An MC Serial Novel) Book 3 by Jordan Silver <— BIKER BOOK!
- Hope for the Holidays Contemporary Collection by Mary Connealy, Audra Harders, Ruth Logan Herne, Sandra Leesmith, Tina Radcliffe, Missy Tippens
- Until You Find Me (Untamed) – Amber Hart
- Forgiveness Creek: The Creek Series by Abbie St. Claire
- A Tainted Mind (A Windsor Series Novel Book 2) by Tamsen Schultz
- Jaxson: Military Romance (Island Warriors Book 1) by Kris Keldaran
- Luck on the Line: On the Verge – Book One by Zoraida Córdova <— CHEFS! “James loves being known as Boston’s hottest bad boy in the kitchen, but if he wants to build a reputation as a serious chef, he has to make this restaurant work and keep his scandalous past out of the headlines. Getting involved with his boss’s spoiled, sharp-tongued daughter is definitely not on the menu.“
- One Night: Denied (The One Night Trilogy) by Jodi Ellen Malpas <— Sequel to “One Night Promised”! Niki says: “One Night Denied by Jodi Ellen Malpas was just released today!!! So excited for more M!!! The first book One Night Promised.”
- Cold Heat (Seasons of the Heart, Book 1) by LeeAnne White <— She’s running away from her ex, and he (ex-Navy!) finds her trapped in her car in a snowstorm…
- The Puppeteer (A Windsor Series Novel Book 1) by Tamsen Schultz
- The Choice by AJ Adwen <— Oh WOW! This one sounds emotionally… dark. “Nobody told me what to expect in the coming days and weeks and months after conceiving a rapist’s child. Years later, my wounds are still just as fresh as the night they were made…“
- Gigolo by Erick Gray <— The title speaks for itself. 😉 But here’s a hint from the blurb: “…he slips up and impregnates one of his clients…his best friend’s mother.“
- Imperfectly Criminal (Imperfect Series Book 2) by Mary Frame
- It’s Kinda My Thing by K.S. Thomas <— Oh oh! “Once upon a time Brody Holmes was a bad, bad boy, collecting the hearts of girls left and right. When he encountered the rarest edition of all, she slipped straight through his fingers. One near happily ever after later, Brody is standing at the altar with his bride, about to cash out his collection of hearts in exchange for just one, when a familiar voice begins to sing from somewhere in the crowd….“
- Go For It (Book 2, Girls’ Night Trilogy) by Selena Blake <— Her best friend’s brother: “Gretchen Mascoe has had a ‘thing’ for Greg Fairchild for years, however the timing has never been right. So she sat on the sidelines, watching him date woman after woman. It’s time to tell him how she feels or move on with her life, but how do you move on when you know in your bones he’s the one?“
- Life After You (Burnt Ashes Book 1) by K.E Taylor
- Indiscretion: Volumes 1-4 by Elisabeth Grace <— BUNDLED!
- Unwrapping Her Perfect Match: A London Legends Christmas Novella by Kat Latham
- The Hit List by Nikki Urang <— She’s a dancer! “Now she has to dance with Luke Morrison, the school womanizer with a big ego. Sadie doesn’t know how to trust Luke enough to dance with him after her last partner left her broken, but Luke is determined to change that.“
- Shattered Witness by Anna DeStefano
- Something About a Man in Uniform (Military Menage Boxed Set) by Paige Tyler
- Night Call (Night Fever Serial Book 2) by Jessica Hawkins
- The Duality Principle by Rebecca Grace Allen <— She likes bad boys but… “When her best friend talks her into a blind date, she finds herself out with the opposite of her fantasy. He’s polite and well-mannered, yet something behind his crisply tailored shirt doesn’t add up—a rebellious gleam in his eye that piques her curiosity.“
- Even Heroes Cry, Fords of Nashville, Book 1 by Hildie McQueen
- Hot Ink (Montgomery Ink) by Carrie Ann Ryan, Cari Quinn, Sidney Bristol
- A Hockey Player’s Proposal (Oh Captain, My Captain Book 2) by Lindsay Paige, Mary Smith, Kathy Krick
- The Flame: A Desire Exchange Novella (1001 Dark Nights) by Christopher Rice <— “Cassidy Burke has the best of both worlds, a driven and successful husband and a wild, impulsive best friend. But after a decadent Mardi Gras party, Cassidy finds both men pulling away from her. Did the three of them awaken secret desires during a split-second of alcohol-fueled passion?“
- Conquer Me (Royals Saga, Book 2) by Geneva Lee
- More to Give (An Anchor Island Novel) by Terri Osburn
- Stephan: New Age & College Romance (Caveman Instinct Book 1) by Hazel Gower
- Captivated By You (Crossfire Book 4) by Sylvia Day <— Coming out on November 18th!!!!
LOVED City of Champions!!! One of my top reads of 2014!!
One Night Denied by Jodi Ellen Malpas was just released today!!! So excited for more M!!! The first book One Night Promised is still $2.99.
Sooooo…Dex won out over Mateo. I’m finishing up Into the Hollow and then it will be Love, In Spanish. Or rather I *want* it to be LIS but After the Rain is starting to tug at me. I loved Sweet Thing by Renee Carlino so I can only imagine how deliciously anxiety inducing ATR will be. Oh, and A Little Lost…if the book lives up to the blurb then I’m gonna be in reading heaven with that one!
OMG, Gigolo…seriously? He knocks up a (literal) MILF?? Who is his friend’s mom?!? LOL!!!! That’s all kinds of freaking awkward!!! 😛
Since I’m still in the awesomeness that is EIT, this is my release day/martini Tuesday drink for this evening…black vodka is yummy!!
This was announced by author Burnett, R. S.: A Little Lost – which came out last night, will be FREE from 12th Novemeber 2014 until 16th Novemeber 2014.
Thanks Niki! I added it! 😀
LOL Amy right? Er… awkward! 😛
OMG I heard of Black Vodka!! Haven’t actually seen it yet…
City of Champions by Chloe Barlow is an absolutely amazing read! One if my all time favorites!
Black vodka can be hard to find, which is why I use mine *sparingly*. It has a slight flavor to it but nothing overpowering.
Oh! I have to tell you ladies what happened last night. I’m still p!ssy about it! Hubby and I went on a double date with a friend of his from work and the guy’s wife. The wife was already acting kinda snotty and being passive-aggressive with me (how well do you think that goes over with me? ;)) and we start talking about reading. She asks me what types of books I read and when I tell her some of my favorites, she got all hoity-toity on me and said, “I don’t read *those* kind of books because they are nothing but junk food and I need more substance.” My hubby took my shot of Jaeger from me ’cause he knew if I drank it things were going to get ugly and end up with my filter decimated and that swamphog leaving the place crying.
Yes, I know…I’m a b!tch for calling her that but whatever. Okay, vent over! 😉
Amy I have to admit I still rarely talk romance with people, well except here with other romance lovers. I should be pass the age of caring but *shrug*. I started at an early age and always felt that there are judgement involved and I guess hard to shake.
One thing that drives me nuts within and with out is the porn, smut, mommy porn labels because most are so much more than that.
I just last night happened upon a great response to some of this type of criticism.
Amy this is the response I read last night. Ha probably while you were at dinner.
Ela, thank you! Out of the list that book really interested me!
OMG that drink sounds so yummy Amy. Have to look for black vodka.
What a snob. Who says the books we read don’t have “substance.” Maybe she wouldn’t be so uptight if she did read some of “these” books. Can you guess that I’ve ran into this same scenario!
One clicking so much today. Can’t go wrong with Renee Carlino, Love in Spanish, City of Champions, It’s Kinda my Thing, maybe A Tide Too High.:)
Cheryl, I know I shouldn’t have gotten so worked up but she was already under my skin, and I don’t like passive-aggressiveness. You don’t like me? That’s okay. I don’t expect everyone to. But don’t take underhanded digs and give backhanded compliments. *deep breath* Okay, I’ve wasted enough energy on her. 😉
Bev, that was great! I read a lot of classics in college (and a few in high school) and absolutely struggled to keep my attention on them. But give me one of “our” reads and you won’t see me for a few hours.
Hehe, just like you won’t see me for a few hours if– what?!? Pfft…as if ya’ll don’t love that, too! 😛
I read Love, in Spanish today and it was everything I hoped it would be. It was a continuation of Mateo and Vera’s story (not just a re-telling from his POV), so you know it’s full of super-sexy moments, but life is never easy for these two so it’s also full of angsty drama too. Both Love, in English and Love, in Spanish have a surprising depth to the emotions and dilemmas faced by Vera and Mateo. It would be easy to pass judgment on both these characters because they certainly have their faults and have made their own mistakes. But this is Karina Halle writing these stories! So we get to feel every emotion, get caught up in every drama, and beg for the happily ever after for these two hearts.
Amy, preaching to the choir, girl. 😉
Bev, great article.
Ooooo, Ela that is one of the books that interested me; even better that it will be free. 😉
Wait, A Little Lost is going to be free?? I was so busy ranting (yeah, right now I’m feeling a little embarrassed at my attitude earlier :?) that I missed Ela’s announcement…how exciting!! I only clicked on the sample today ’cause I’m trying to be a good girl and only get samples instead of actually buying the books – y’all know my ridiculous number 😉 – and I will definitely be one-clicking now for sure tomorrow.
Thanks, Ela!!! 😀
No reason to be embarrassed. It is a good reminder that our words, actions, and attitude effect others.
Off book topic, but it’s Veterans Day. I just have to say that the ceramic poppies at the Tower of London is so heart breaking and beautiful.
Nine Minutes will blow your mind. Read it Friday and I haven’t been able to pick up a new book.
Ladies I need some advice! I am being forced, yes forced, by myself to buy some paperbacks and I need help! So I narrowed it down between Gail McHugh; collide series and Jodie Ellen malpas; this man series. Which would you vote for? Thanks all!
P.s Amy I totally feel your frustration. I’ve stopped defending myself because quite frankly everyone can suck it!
Nine Minutes. Oh my. Book heaven.
Sara, I vote for This Man series!!! I loved it and will read anything that she writes:)
Absolutely LOVED nine minutes! Couldn’t put it down! Cannot wait for book 2!
Sara looooved This Man series!!! Has stayed with me. That being said Collide series is wonderful too and only 2 books!!! See how I justified your decision for both??!! Lol
Nine Minutes isn’t a standalone is it??
And I’m with Amy and Sara those who judge can just suck it!!! More often than not though I’m finding women seem to brighten up when they do find that common bond with another woman!! Yes we’re out and proud!!! OK I’m done. Xoxo
Amy – I am surrounded by book snobs – which is why I come here!!! You know what my usual comeback is? “So, what did you watch on TV last night? What movies do you like to see?” – because, we ladies all eventually get some form of entertainment that is romance based… some people watch The Bachelor (ick) others loved all the Nicholas Sparks movies (meh). Unless you are in academia and truly enjoy that kind of read, you just need to hush up and quit judging those who choose to READ versus watch TV or Movies.
Amy! The book snobs are missing out! I read the Goldfinch just to see what was so great and I’d take any of our gritty Indie reads over that any day (and that book had excessive drug use, gay sex, stolen art, mobsters, murder etc) but in the end it felt completely forced and phony compared to so many books we’ve all read and I didn’t feel anything for 800 pages.
Oh, I want to read the Goldfinch. Even that book has been criticized for not being “literary” enough.
I’ve been meaning to read Renee Carlino forever. Her new book takes place on a Montana ranch? I’m in!!! Funny how certain details give you that extra little push. But I got on Amazon and saw her other two books are so cheap right now, so I bought Nowhere But Here to start off, to see if I like her writing before I take a $7.99 plunge. Plus, reclusive hero. Oh yes. 🙂
Oh, and, hi everyone. Been lurking forever. I think this might be my first comment. 😉
Amy, my family is the same way….my mom is a corporate accountant, dad is an electrical engineer, older brother has 7, yes 7, master’s degrees (he gets “bored”), & 2 other brother’s have doctorate degrees. My youngest brother follows Phish around the country but that’s another story. Anyway, I had to freakin HIDE all my books when I was young. 100’s & 100’s of books. The entire Sweet Valley High collection. My mom would buy me shit like Rikki-Tikki-Tavi or Great Expectations. I couldn’t discuss anything I was reading till last year….I bought my mom & sisters-in-law the 50 Shades books & they loved em. Now, I can talk books with them. My 16yr old niece loves Beautiful Disaster so I turned her onto Thoughtless & Slammed & a bunch of others. See….people mock what they don’t understand. F**k em!
What a great list! The covers – wow!
Author of A Keeper’s Truth and GOT
Bev it was definitely literary, the writing was phenomenal, but 800 pages and nothing happened! Nothing was settled, there was zero personal growth, I found no point to it (although I learned a ton about antique furniture restoration) I read a similar book that was far better called A Trip to the Stars by Nicholas Christopher
Diane M “antique furniture restoration” ~that made me laugh.
Fabi, Was Under the Never Sky on your list? It sounds familiar and it is on sale.
Maybe I shouldn’t try and read before work. On one hand love the quiet time on other hard to put book down for day.
Bev, yes I read that one a while back. It’s really good. 🙂 in a YA dystopian kind of way.
Bev, I just bookmarked that webpage you posted. After reading it I had the urge to jump up and yell Amen.
As some of you know, my reading tastes are eclectic if not eccentric. I’ve read all the Greek classics, the great British lits, most American lits, the most highly praised current self-help and improvement books. I also read and enjoy current fiction in half a dozen genres. I PISSES ME OFF when people look down their noses or snicker at my current romance novel.
I loved Beowulf, hated Moby Dick, loved Pygmalion, Arthur C Clark is a genius and one of the five star reads for me this year was Beautiful Disaster.
People who deny themselves a book because they think it’s beneath them lose priceless personal growth that only comes from reading a great author’s great story. Genre does not factor into this in the least.
Here’s my favorite quote from Bev’s page posting:
YOU CAN’T BE F**KING WRONG WHEN YOU READ. Unless you completely miss the text and say something like “Great Expectations was about a Tyrannosaurus Rex eating a bi-plane,” but even then, if you can support your thesis, you can probably get away with it.
Amy, there is no way I could have restrained myself with your dinner companion.
I remember forcing myself to finish Moby Dick. I’m not sure why I decided I had to read it and then felt like a chore and all I remember is the relief of finishing it. Yet when I see how some love it I get the urge to try and see if I’d like it better now. Then think …..no.
Fabi have you read Elizabeth Gaskell? I have her North and South and have been meaning to read it forever. If any like period adaptations that one is amazing. One of the BBC one’s as are the adaptations of her Wives and Daughters & Cranford. Plan on re watching N&S soon. Love the actor in it but his name is escaping me. He is in the new Hobbit movies.
And for this I love you ladies more. 😀
Instead of chastising me for my namecalling (which would have been warranted – I shouldn’t have called her a swamphog *cringe*), you all empathized and shared the love for “our” books. Y’all made me feel all warm and fuzzy! Okay, come here everyone… *big group hug*
And when I find Maryse, she’s getting a big ol’ squeeze for giving us this place! 😉
OMG, just catching up with all your comments here! Amy, I would have freaked on that woman….. that’s why I stopped talking to people about my books (except you guys of course and one great friend who will read anything I tell her to)! They just don’t get it!
Thanks for the info on A Little Lost… looks great and I love free!
Hugz back at ya Amy. You know we got your back. 🙂
Bev I haven’t heard of Elizabeth Gaskell. I’ll have to check her out. I’m not familiar with the tv shows either but that’s not unusual for me since I spend most of my time reading instead of watching tv. I wish I could remember who said that nothing produced on screen can ever match what we can conjure in our imaginations when we read.
I also read before work in the morning. In fact, I get up several hours early to do that. I love the peace and quiet. But like you, I find it hard to stop and leave for work when I’m really involved in a great story.
The best thing about Maeyse’s blog, besides the great books, is finding other people we have things in common with. 🙂
Finished The Duet. It was a laugh-out-loud funny, lighthearted story with minimal angst (as defined by Maryse & Amy)! Recommend reading it! I started it because I was about 30% thru Pull and just feeling like I was forcing myself to keep reading. I just don’t feel that invested in the main characters. Think maybe taking a break might help get me in a better frame of mind.
I am so grateful that I found this blog because not only does Maryse help to supply my book addiction, I found a wonderful group of women who share my love of reading!! 🙂
North and South is one of my favorites of all time in that genre. BBC has an adaption that is on Netflix that is amazing as well.
Bev, I have 10% left in Flowers from the Storm and I feel a wreck right now – this better not end in tradegy – my heart cannot take it!
Oh I didn’t read all of your comment Bev so I repeated the miniseries thing but I love that actor too!
Finished! I love loved it Bev! Such a unique story with complex characters that I will admit drove me crazy at times. I figured the meaning of the title would become clear after reading but I’m not sure – what is your take on it?
Picked up Love, In Spanish but I’m holding off on reading. Nine Minutes is getting some buzz huh, well I will wait for Maryse’s review first 🙂
Richard Armitage!! That’s the actor. When ever I mention this mini series I always think people think I’m talking of the one with Patrick Swayze, whom I love, about the civil war, lol.https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000AYEL6U/ref=pd_lpo_sbs_dp_ss_2?pf_rd_p=1944687582&pf_rd_s=lpo-top-stripe-1&pf_rd_t=201&pf_rd_i=B0002MFGDC&pf_rd_m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_r=1BKWCKAPFD1AFPFQHTFR
Amy – so glad you shared about your beeyotch from dinner being such a book snob! look at all the great responses it got…. also, a great comeback for a tawtwaffle like that is, “well, my hubby sure likes that I read these books, dontcha’ honey? ” making a woman look less than sexy in that dept iin front of her husband is a surefire way to get a good dig in…. heeheehee…. and there’s no comeback for that, unless she wants to look like a total insecure wench.
Michelle I’m not done yet. Probably tonight. I’ve so enjoyed ‘re-reading this.
I just find it so well written. The slow change in Christian. How it’s not easy and not glossed over. And that the choices Maddie has to make are hard for her. I forget so many details it is like reading it for the first time. It is hurting my heart and making me happy all at once. I love the scene were Christain fights for Maddie. I read that scene at H&H and it is why I decided to read the book.
I’m definitely going to try her other books this time.
Hi Kay. Forgot to say hi earlier. Glad your coming out of lurker status.
Michelle, I 1 clicked Love, In Spanish too but am saving it for when I need a quickie between books since its so short. Mateo *swoon*
Kay I was a lurker for a long time too.
So what is every one reading?
Still FFTS for me. Just read part were he is telling Maddy about the letter he wrote to his attorney and a little hit to my heart. But I love it, lol.
Jean, since you popped in after the group hug, here ya go! *pounces on Jean and squeezes* And MichelleS, that is a good one!! No telling what I would have said if my hubby hadn’t taken away my shot of Jaeger…you know how truth serum is supposed to bring out the truth from someone? Yeah, well Jaeger is like b!tch serum for me. *giggle*
Hi Kay!!!! 😀 Good to “see” you!! And in regards to Renee Carlino, her books are worth the higher price. I *loved* Sweet Thing!
Bev, I’m still reading Into the Hollow (EIT). OMG it’s freaking me the freak out!! I am really loving this series.
🙂 I can’t promise I’ll comment often but I will definitely continue lurking…lol
Good to know about Renee Carlino. It’s hard to drop anything over 5 bucks on an author I’ve never read since there are so many good cheap ebooks! But Sweet Thing is only $2.99 right now! Might have to pick that one up too…
This is going to sound silly, especially since I’m a lurker, but I forget how many others could be reading these comments.
Bev – what are you re-reading? Christian who? Maddie who? Why is this not ringing a bell?
MichelleS, I was thinking the same thing… what is FFTS bev?
I am still reading Love in English…”slow” reading it because I don’t ever want it to end!
Thanks for the hug Amy!
Bev, if you are a lurker then I am a stalker, LOL!!! Can you imagine how some of the comments here would look if taken out of context? *covering face*
Jean, I feel ya because when I was reading LIE, I was torn between wanting to hurry to find out what would happen and trying to stretch it out as long as I could. Kind of like what I am doing with EIT…Dex…oh, that man. 😉
*snort* I was just thinking of how Maryse’s autocorrect likes to be dirty…imagine stumbling across one of those, LOL!!!
Amy, you are a stalker… Lol! You are making me want to read EIT series (I know I was supposed to read it with you guys but I got sidetracked)….. seemed like it was a slow start for you but now you are loving it!
Amy, I do need to get back to EIT. I was enjoying it but Dex is a little odd. Though I like reading about different types of heroes & heroines.
MichelleS, I’m re-reading Flowers From the Storm.
I’m now thinking of doing some re-reads of Penelope Williamson’s books. She has 3 that I read once and adored.
Ooooh Jean, I’ll show you a stalker! 😛 I *am* loving EIT now. If the lovely ladies here had not given me a heads up that it gets better as the series continues then I may not have stuck with it. Things really started picking up the last half of Dead Sky Morning (#3), and by the end of Lying Season (#4) I had the angst and lovin’ and WTF that I crave. But like Maryse says, in books…always and only in books. 😉 I would call the angst from LS and on as midway to pushing high, mostly because I have become so attached to Perry and Dex.
Bev, I also thought Dex was pretty weird and wondered if I would ever fall for him. Let me tell ya though, by the end of DSM he had me, and after reading the Dex Files (and even Old Blood) his behavior and actions finally made sense. Now I’m hopelessly smitten with him. *swoony sigh* I’m gonna miss them when it’s all over!
I saw on Facebook earlier that Pepper Winter’s First Debt was on sale. I bought it before I could even think. I loved the first Indebted book, and this one is a full book. (Warning Amy, CH in both books)
Finished FFTS. I wasn’t expecting it to take so long but I enjoyed it so.
Michelle, I know what you mean about the characters driving you crazy. A certain “Miss Thee Thou” did that to me a few times.
I have to say I honestly do not give slot of thought to the titles. I would say maybe that Maddy, the gardener, is his shelter. She gave him a chance to heal. I’m not sure and now I’ll be thinking on it, lol. What is your take?
Now I’m not sure what to start next. Funny how transitions between books can be hard.
Aw, thanks for the warning Tessa!! 😀 I really, really liked her Monsters in the Dark series, but I’ll hold off on this one until the series is finished.
Bev, what are you in the mood for?
I think tonight I’ll re start Outcome. It is from my KU trial that ends soon. So that and Scandal for that. After that I’m not sure. I have some pulled up out of my kindle and nook libraries. They are my “stacks” and subject to change. Right now some started some not are: Dead Morning Sky(30%), Make it Count(51%), The Resistance, Very Wicked Things, At Your Beck & Call, The Luckiest Lady in London, and The Opportunist.
From the library: The Silkworm, The Leftovers, and a re read of War of the Oaks.
So some choices, lol.
Ok I haven’t been able to get on here this week baby is teething again!!! But I’ve been re reading lora Leigh’s breeds this week cause I missed some the 1st time but I’m taking a break cause they do start to repeat a lot!!!
Fabi have u read any of the beyond series yet? I think I’ll start the new one now.
Amy how dare she!!! U should have said well I only read them because hey remind me of my hubby especially in the bedroom, is that why u read ur ‘type’ of books pfft that’s someone who try’s to pretend she never read 50shades and she so did everyone did! I mean how many baby’s were conceived in 2012? Ahem mines was 🙂
Love, In Spanish….. only 20 minutes left. I had to sleep! Dang it! So, so good. God, I love Mateo. Definitely Karina Halle at her very best, with these two books.
Finished Love in English last night! I LOVED IT! Jumped right into Love in Spanish this morning….. cannot get enough of Mateo! Don’t know what the heck I’ll read after this…. nothing will compare! You guys should have forced me to read this one sooner…. I would have listened… I swear!
I just finished my book too. Wanted to make sure I was ready in case we are for sure doing a group read of Abducted this weekend. I have to work all day but can start tonight.
Laura, I haven’t started the beyond series yet. I have the first book so I guess I could read that one this weekend. I also thought about reading Gigolo. That one sounds so naughty.
You guys let me know sometime today if any of you are starting Abducted. Otherwise I’ll hold off on it for the group read. 🙂
Bev, I think Christian drove me crazy more. I mean he should have learned a BIG life lesson but his growth was still molasses slow. I’m still not sure about the title but I want to figure it out! I remember the comment from Christian to Robert about Maddie being afraid of storms (his last words to him) and it stuck out for me. I think the title is a take on courage to overcome your fears and in that something beautiful can grow referring to the tumultuous relationship between those two. I can’t type more without giving away some spoilers so those are my abbreviated thoughts. I loved the last scene too with the visiting ‘stork.’
I finished up the lastest Joker’s Wrath book last night, Anguish. It was the best one of the series but overall they were just average MC reads for me (Sheehan and Bextor are still my favs) but really fun books regardless. They are crazy steamy too *fanning myself*
I’m excited to start Abduction tonight but yeah I have a long day still ahead too Fabi. I will get some reading in tonight and probably really dig in tomorrow. Is it still just Fabi and Jean joining in? Y’all do not know what you are missing not taking the Krylov plunge – so amazingly good!
I just need to finish Love in Spanish (which I hope to do this afternoon since my boss left) and then I am good to start Abduction tonight… looking forward to my 2nd Krylov book!
Awesome! Starting Abduction with y’all tonight!
I’m still saving my Mateo fix. Like a favorite candy. Lol
Jean, with your boss gone, lol.
Michelle, I think the first time I read it it was Christian’s actions for me to. I was surprised by Maddy and my feelings this time. Yes they both had to show a lot of courage. I liked the scene between Maddy & the aunt on the side of the road.
I do have to mention Durnham & Fane. I like reading about true friendships.
Bev have u not read the opportunist? I vote for u to read that next the whole series is one of my favorites couldn’t put any of them down!
I agree Laura! Bev, you have to read The Opportunist series….a definite favorite!
Just realized Love in Spanish is the 200th book I’ve read this year! Wow! How many books are you guys up to this year? Just curious…..
Laura I’m not sure when I’ll be ready for that one. I’m spoiled to the big twist but it is the characters that have me worried. I’m afraid Im not going to like any of them and that is a long time to spend with people you don’t like, lol.
Though that can also make for an interesting story.
Jean we posted at around the same time. So I’ve never kept track of books read before. Then in June I decided to write down my books figuring it would give me a rough estimate. My rules to mmyself is I would not count DNFs or books I skimmed. So, with that since mid June I’ve only read 45 books. So I’d guess 90 altogether. This seems right but a low number to what I think I usually average.
Bev, I am almost as obsessed with my lists and spreadsheets as I am with books, that’s how I know! I keep a running list of books read. Last year I read 205 books! Lol!
200 books in one year? Whoa…
Jean– you don’t use Goodreads to keep track of your books? OMG I couldn’t live without Goodreads. I wish there was a Goodreads for movies. I’m always trying to remember movies I’ve watched and loved. My memory is awful.
Kay, yes I use Goodreads also. It’s kinda my backup for making sure I didn’t miss anything on my lists. I would be lost without it also!
I’m at around my 200 books read for the year too. But I had several months off work this year so I read more than usual.
I try to use Goodreads but I have to manually enter any books from Nook, Audible or paper based so it’s never current or an accurate count. I’m probably nearing 210 for the year since I didn’t include paper based or recorded books. Definitely more than usual for me.
Jean, I love to make lists I just can’t stick to them.
Are you a fast reader, Jean? I think I’m average maybe a little below. How I usually add up is time spent reading. So you are definitely going to surpass last year.
Kay I know 200 is a lot. I’m going to guess that a lot of ladies on here probably average over, in some cases like Jean well over, 100 a year.
I don’t consider myself a fast reader…probably average.
Jean then I’m definitely on the slow side, lol.
I don’t know how many I’m on but u guys must be quite fast for that many and working! My excuse is I’m a stay at home mum so I have more free time I don’t think I could read like I do working so that’s amazing u can fit it all in we should have a martini to celebrate that 200 mark were is Amy when u need her?!
Yay for spreadsheets and lists!!!! Another thing in common!! My number for this year so far…208. Do you ladies have any idea how thrilled I am that I have all y’all here and that we share this commonality?? 😀
I second (third? fourth?) The Opportunist…but have Dirty Red and Thief ready to read right after. Just trust us on that. 😉
LOL Laura, you summoned me. 😛 By the way, your comment about 50 Shades, the comeback for her comment and the making of babies in 2012 had me cracking up!!
Here you go, ladies:
*raising cocktail* Cheers!!
Bev, The Resistance (SL Scott) is on my list to read next week before my loan expires. If you decide to read it, let me know and we can buddy up 🙂 What is War of the Oaks – oh is it another amazing historical?!
Yes I’m fastidious about keeping my reading lists every year with ratings, etc. I average around 250 books a year but I consider myself a fast reader. I’m starting book 227 today. I almost did the reading challenge on goodreads this year for 275 books – maybe I will try for that next year. I’ve never hit 275 though so that will definitely be a challenge!
Abduction is another long one, over 450 pages. I’m saving Love, In Spanish too Fabi – glad it’s not just a POV book but has new material.
Michelle just let me know if and when you want to start it. I’ve been wanting to read it since Maryse’s review.
War for the Oaks is urban fantasy. I read it maybe fifteen years ago and loved it but never re read it. Then saw it mentioned on another blog and thought time to do it. I also recently read a review for it from a few years ago and the reviewer mentioned that the author, Emma Bull, is even credited with helping to create the sub genre. I don’t know how Maryse feels about links to other reviews or would post it. Any way just waiting for the right time to read it, though library loan so at some point will have to return it.
You ladies are killing it in books read this year. Never done a book challenge, maybe we should do one here to help us with the never ending tbr piles.
Abduction? Who is the author? What’d I miss? I was off in Mateo world and missed out on the group read? You know how many books are titled Abduction on Amazon? waaaaaa! Someone help a poor girl out.
It’s Abduction by Krylov MichelleS. My new fav author. 🙂
MichelleS, I’m not sure of the name but it is the one you and Fabi loved. Her name starts with a V, maybe? You all just did a group read of another of hers called After, I think, lol.
I think they are starting tonight.
Lol, ok her name starts with a K.
Happy Clapping Commencing in my den right now!!! V Krylov. YAY!!! That means it will be fantastic writing, edgy, sexy, controversial, stylized…. gah! Can’t wait. Have very very high hopes here….. 🙂
Well Abduction is something alright…not really sure what adjective I would put on it after reading that fun with candles scene…ummm Amy would have a field day with this!
Bev, I will let you know when I start The Resistance then. War FOR the Oaks…no wonder I couldn’t find it…it looks right up my alley and your recs have been spot on for me so it’s on my list now 🙂 A reading challenge would be fun on here. It does help widdle down tbr lists. I get a lot of books on loan or from my library so that pushes me to read them as well. Booklending.com is great and I get three books a week loaned just from there.
Ooooooh, fun with candles? Sounds like sexy time! 😛 I would join you guys in reading Abduction, but I’m going to be snuggling up with Dex tonight…and a lovely mojito martini. 😉
Sorry, Michelle. I did mention I do not always give a lot of thought to titles:-)
Michelle you really do read fast. I’m at 15% and haven’t come across a candle scene. Even this early in the book though, it is breathtaking. I absolutely love how she develops her characters.
I started Abduction last night. Haven’t reached a candle scene yet either. I am intrigued as to who the “other guy” is based on the cryptic way she refers to him. So far, so good. Different. I like that! And have no clue where it’s going and who is a bad guy and who is a good guy,
My copy I think is an earlier edit and they must have taken that scene out which is not a bad thing because I found it disturbing. I’m fasinated at how smooth and flowing her writing is – I can power through it with little effort. I got through 40% last night which I didn’t expect. Not sure where you all are at so I will just say so far it’s very good and quite a unique dark story.
All quite on the Abduction front…either it’s amazingly good for you all or crappy?
I haven’t had that much time to read yet. I had to work for a while today. Are you finished already?
I’m at 26% of Abduction… didn’t get to read much and it’s a LONG book! I am really loving it though….. couldn’t put it down when I was reading it… not sure where it will lead…. Fabi, I will never be able to thank you enough for introducing me to this author!!
I’m excited that at the end of Abduction there are samples of three of her other books. Maybe we’ll put another one of hers on the radar based on the samples.
I’m also loving Abduction. But it’s her writing and character development that hooks me right from the start. I want to know more and more. Things are slowly revealed and the twists and turns leave me breathless.
I just sat back down to try and finish it – have 16% more. I still have no idea how it will end. It has the same feel as After in that it is highly unpredictable and the story is only revealed in small pieces. It works because I’ve been hooked! There’s a lot of sexual encounters but again she makes them all work and weaves the story into them.
That must be her signature writing style because every book of hers I’ve read has had that “I don’t know what’s going to happen” feel until the very end.
My goodness you read fast Michelle!
Fabi, I agree with the writing style! Love it! I was excited too when I saw there were samples at the end!
Michelle, you read fast! Holy crap, and you still have no idea?!?!
@ 29% ugh some of this is hard to read
Break time for me
Ha yeah I had no idea where it was going! I finished last night though. I won’t comment until you are all done but there are a lot of parts that are hard to read – it’s very dark.
I had to learn to read fast – have done a lot where it’s required to stay afloat. Some books I can read much faster though. I think Krylov’s writing is so smooth it makes reading effortless – it’s a real delight.
Michelle, are you going to give us your star rating on it? Did you read any of the samples in the back of the book?
Fabi, I’m in mixed feelings limbo with it – still digesting I think but I will say I liked After more. Not that it was bad but I’m hung up on some storyline issues that didn’t make sense to me or were just unsatisfying. The writing and character development as you said were top notch so I need to simmer on the story issues so my rating is not skewed. I jumped right into The Sweet Gum Tree without updating my goodreads etc. with a rating/review yet – it’s just one of those books that need some thought to capture it.
I didn’t read any of the samples yet but will. I definitely want to read another one soon.
Michelle you should friend me on goodreads so I can see your books and ratings. Mine isn’t complete but I have some there. fabigower “at” gmail
That goes for any of you ladies on Goodreads. Would love to have you as reading friends there. Maybe I’ll start using it more that way. 🙂
Michelle, it is VERY dark. I have 30% left. I will definitely need a light sweet romantic read after this one!
Fabi I’m going to search for you on Goodreads! Then maybe I can hook up with Michelle too through you!
Awesome Jean. 🙂
I still early on in the book. Ready for it to move on from the moping around.
My goodreads is a hot mess haha. I just joined in July mostly as a way to organize my reads but then saw you can’t add books from nook in bulk so like 95% of the books I’ve read (just switched to kindle this year) are not on there. When I get it organized which is a project for me over vacation soon I will add you ladies 🙂 I have a spreadsheet of my books with ratings but it’s annoying that you have to enter them individually – wish nook synced 🙁
Jean let us know what you think – the darkness lightens up a little…
That’s my problem with Goodreads too Michelle. You might check their import utility if you have a spreadsheet.
I’m on Goodreads too. It’s an easy way to import amazon library, but not books that I buy or borrow. But it has about 500+ of my books – and I have rated almost all of them, I think. Of course, PNR is taking up quite some real estate, as is Regency and Highlanders!!! I’m under Michelle Santiago – email is santiagogirl85 at gmail.com (didn’t put the @ for obvious reasons!). I see Fabi, Rebecka, and jean are there…. 🙂
I’m at 60% with Abduction. Whoa. Just Whoa. I knew it would be uncomfortably good.