But that’s because we love the drama of the wondering… of the “OH NO HE DIDN’T” moments, of the cocky bad-boy moments, the romantic indifference, the seemingly unrequited love, and then… the sweeeeet relief when the love finally allllll comes together. YES!!!
But make it hurt first, right? And a maybe a little after… too.
So Viki asks:
Hi there! …I am in need of a great book about an a$$hole guy who love a girl but treats her bad because he doesnt know how to handle his feelings for her. But I like happy endings lol
Suggestions anyone? Let her know in the comments!
Of course I have a TON, since this genre appears to my preferred read, so I’ll start it off with a few of the obvious ones that have been suggested time and time again, ’cause they are exactly this! Viki, if you haven’t read these, you MUST! And while not all of them are our “typical alpha-males”, they fit quite well in the jerk/emotional mess department.
P.S. You really can’t go wrong with a Kristen Ashley book if you’re looking for this kind of guy. Her alpha-males fluctuate from soooooo sweet to infuriating. Alpha-jerks. 😉
- Fifty Shades of Grey by E. L. James <— my review <— Right off the bat, this is the most obvious one… ’cause yeah… he really has no idea how to handle his feelings. Total jerk-fun here! 😉
- Sweet Dreams by Kristen Ashley <— my review
- Mystery Man by Kristen Ashley <— my review
- Motorcycle Man by Kristen Ashley <— my review
- Undeniable by Madeline Sheehan <— my review (and Kim agrees with this one saying: “Deuce from Undeniable…the a$$hole I love to hate!!” <— Tee hee!!!! and Claire too: “I freakin’ love to hate Deuce.”
- Unbeautifully by Madeline Sheehan <— my review
- Night Owl by M. Pierce <— my review
- Lover Awakened by J.R. Ward <— my review
- Darkfever by Karen Marie Moning <— my review
- Beautiful Disaster by Jamie McGuire <— my review <— mind you, I personally think Travis treats her pretty great from the start, but he sure messes up BIG time… over and over again ’cause he doesn’t know how to handle… his feelings. 😉
- Surviving Raine by Shay Savage <— my review
- Changing Course by Aly Martinez <— my review (a little more subdued in the “jerkiness” but he’s still a big ‘ol mess).
- The Plan by Qwen Salsbury <— my review (Total jerk!!! Good times!)
- Come to Me Quietly by A.L. Jackson <— my review – perfect for this list!
- Room 212 by Kate Stewart <— my review
- Captive in the Dark by CJ Roberts <— my review – SUPER-DARK read but if you like that, this book is perfect for this list!!
- ???? Okay now your turn! 😀
- Amy Queau – The Progress Series <— recommended by “See”. She says: “He’s a total jerk. You have to read it though to see why. I love this series.” and Jesse agrees: “Jesse from the Progress series by Amy Queau”
Michelle: See, I thought Progress looked intriguing so I started it today and really like it so far. Yes Jesse is a jerk but a complex, endearing one which has me hooked!
- Karina Halle – Experiment in Terror Series <— Erin reminds me that Dex is perfect for this list!
Erin: “What about Dex?”
Maryse: “Yeah I was contemplating Dex… did he treat her badly..??? Ohhhh yes. Yes. Yes he did. I need to put Dex.” 😀
Erin: “Horse from Reaper’s Property FOR SURE!”
- Because You’re Mine (Capitol Theatre Book 2) by Lisa Kleypas <— Bev suggests it! “So I’m a total Lisa Kleypas fan girl and so have to mention Because You’re Mine.”
Laura B: I feel so validated about my addiction to Lisa Kleypas now! Thank you Bev.
I believe her “Sugar Daddy: A Novel (Travis Book 1)” fits into this category. It’s the beginning of her Travis series. My fav all time scene is in the beginning of the second book, “Blue-Eyed Devil: A Novel (Travis Book 2)”. Then one of my fav steamy scenes in the third, “Smooth Talking Stranger: A Novel (Travis Book 3)”
AND I totally agree with anything KA (Shooee! Those alpha men rock!)
bev: @Laura B I adore LK’s books. I do lean more to the historical ones, they just do it for me.
- Beautifully Awake by Riley Mackenzie <— Robin recommends this one.
Robin: Chase Colton has more than his share of OH NO HE DIDN’T moments! Takes the classic tormented alpha to a new level! Lol!”
Linh: I am reading Beautifully Awake from the list of reader’s recommendation and I am LOVING it so far. I was in such a book slump but Chase Colton’s Alpha-ness is bringing me out of it.
- Call Me Irresistible: A Novel (Wynette, Texas Book 6) by Susan Elizabeth Phillips <— And Spandana introduces us to this one!! New to me!!! “I totally agree. We are well versed in book-jerks. But the biggest alpha jerk of all time is Ted in Call me Irresistible by Susan Elizabeth Phillips. You HAVE to read it, Maryse. The chemistry is just explosive.” I love explosive!!!!!
Sarah: I saw the rec for call me irresistible by Susan Elizabeth Phillips. GIRL! SEP is my favorite author hands down. She beat Kresley Cole and KA. Those are my top 3 but she is the Queen. She’ll chew you up, spit you out emotionally and then put you back together and pour chocolate on top. The books recommended are fantastic but I would wait to read ‘Call Me Irresistable’ because there are other secondary characters from previous books in it and you don’t want to ruin those stories.
Also, once you know them it makes the book even better. Kiss an Angel is a stand alone and perfect for this list. If you want I could send you an email if recs of her books and the orders I would rate/ read. I’ve read them all at least 2-3 times and it would be nice to give back yo you after all these years.
- Risen Glory by Susan Elizabeth Phillips <— Melanie suggests these: “Risen Glory and Kiss an angel by susan elizabeth phillips”
- Kiss an Angel by Susan Elizabeth Phillips <— and here’s the other one!
bev: YAY! So glad to see someone else bring the love for Kiss an Angel.
- Jag (Pandemic Sorrow Book 1) by Stevie J. Cole <— Bree suggests this one! “Just finished ‘Jag’ by Stevie J Cole..his an arse and a rocker!! Best book I’ve read in a while”
- Locke (Corps Security Book 6) by Harper Sloan <— and this one’s Courtney’s! “Locke from Corps Security #5!”
- Rule: A Marked Men Novel by Jay Crownover <— Michelle has a few recommendations (Rule, until november, bully! Stepbrother dearest) Yep! I read this one and have to agree! (my review)
- Until November (Until series Book 1) by Aurora Rose Reynolds
- Sarah: Bully: The Fall Away Series by Penelope Douglas (P.S. Here’s Maryse’s book review) and Stepbrother Dearest by Penelope Ward…
Sarah: Both awesome angsty books!
Lisa T: OMG the book where the guy is the biggest jerk to the girl is Unforgiven by Elizabeth Finn, I could not put it down he was such an A$:, but he felt he has reason but he starts feeling conflicted and becomes even more of an as$. Definitely should be on this list.
Cher: I’m surprised I don’t see Joe Callahan of “Breathe (Colorado Mountain Series Book 4)” on here. I know we all end up loving him — he’s easily one of the most lovable KA heroes — but I think we love him more BECAUSE he’s such an a**hole for most of the book. And doesn’t that just make us so effed up?
Linh: And Maryse…How can you leave out LAHN from The Golden Dynasty (Fantasyland Series Book 2)? He’s like the ultimate book jerk that I LOVE!
Chris: All of Me by Gina Sorelle. Perfect example….Oh Nathan, how I loved him! Great read!!
- King in ‘The King Trilogy’ – he was awful to her over & over & over (reminded me of Jerricho Barrons).
- Lahn in The Golden Dynasty (SLAP!) – warrior jerk we learn to love
- Prentice in Fairytale Come Alive– mean for a reason
- Alexander in The Bronze Horseman – hookin’ up with the sister!!! jerk!
Laura: Neighbours from hell series I suppose perfection and definitely checkmate lol
Lauren: Yeah, definitely Bully by Penelope Douglas. But My #1 pick would have to be the Driven series by K. Bromberg. And…throwing in an oldie but goodie, Edward Cullen from (duh) Twilight (The Twilight Saga Book 1).
- Gabe in Maya Banks’s ‘Rush (The Breathless Trilogy Book 1)’ and
- Dair in R K Lilly’s ‘The Wild Side’ come to mind…
- Night Owl: The Night Owl Trilogy, of course…