Ahhhh so many of us are not just fans of bad boys, but of book-guys that are absolutely horrid in the beginning. To us… er… I mean HER. You know why I think that is? ‘Cause it’s so much fun to uncover what makes him such a jerk in the first place, and also even more fun when the one person that we couldn’t stand (or that we feared most, in whatever way…), becomes our very best friend… and more.
I blame Twilight for my love of mean-angry bullies that become uber protective once they finally let someone in. And Zsadist. *sigh* That whole first scene when he first met Bella, and she saw how scarred and scary he looked?
“Zsadist! Let her go!” Another male, this one with a long head of hair, jogged across the vast floor. “Let her go, Z.”
The scarred male leaned down to her, putting that misshapen mouth close to her ear.
Something pressed into her sternum, over her heart. His fingertip.
“You just got saved, female.”
Eeeeep!!!! GAH!! Z is my ultimate book bully. But I have more to recommend (below + reader recommendations too!).
Now of course, I think in real-life, the animosity would be too great (the resentments, bad memories and what not), that it would be unlikely for our biggest enemy to become our favorite person in the world. But then again, it’s not out of the realm of possibility. After all, I’ll never forget when I was in college, a guy in our “entourage” was so loud and kind of mean and obnoxious. To me, and to anyone, really. You know, the typical jock-bully, even with his own crew? Well anyway, he once told me a couple of years later when we ran in to each other in other social circles, that he always thought I was cute. OMG! Whaaaaaat? LOL! I avoided him like the plague every time we at the same party together, ’cause I didn’t want to be the next target of his ridicule, and he though I was cute? Seriously? Maybe the maturity kicked in? Or maybe a girl kneed him you-know-where and set him straight? *snort* 😛 Either way, that’s my own personal “bully-story” and so I truly LOVE these “love stories”.
And I’ve been getting requests lately for a Bully List!
Kylie: What I am writing to you for is to ask if you have a list at all with books about “bullys”? I do have Bully by Penelope Douglas, but I haven’t gotten around to reading it yet. Fear Me was actually my first “bully” read and I’m almost ashamed to admit that I LOVED every word of it! … Anyway, I looked at your website and squirreled through the forums, but I can’t seem to find a list specifically for bullys 🙁 I would love to know if you or your readers/followers know of any other bully books (as I think I have found a new genre addiction for the moment) and I would love to have some suggestions/recommendations. Perhaps there’s not enough of them out there for a list, but still…
Anne: I’ve got a hankering to read a book (or three) where the couple initially hate each other before working through whatever problems/misunderstanding they have to reach their HEA. Hopefully lots of angst and plenty of passion thrown in for good measure! A bad boy / alpha / biker wouldn’t go amiss either! I’ve read a few books that fit the brief, but Bully stands out as a favourite. Any suggestions would be welcome, and, dare I say it, maybe a top 10
Kristina: I love your complete list but I would love it if you could add a enemies that fall in love like “bully”
Dyan: I was bullied when I was in grade school so I love books that has a bullied theme.
Amy: …all of those bully jerk-face books up there have me ready to squirrel.
Tessa: I like jerks…
MichelleS: This is my absolute FAVORITE kind of reading, so I have a bazillion of these guys in my “rolodex” of books….
GREAT IDEA!!! Now of course, I have a ton of alpha-jerks that come to mind (you know, like Tate from Sweet Dreams) but he’s not so much a bully, you know? He still has that dignity and protective care-of-a-woman thing going on. He’s just a big ol’ jerk at first (which I LOVED ’cause I was appalled, that the guy she – and we- were crushing on didn’t even look twice at her and was happy to say so)!
But for this list, what we’re looking for is full on bully-buttholes (or at least obvious bully-characteristics to ’em). Those that purposely infuriate, terrorize (in whatever way) alienate and humiliate the heroine. I love when a heroine sees him and immediately runs for cover, or does her best not to be noticed. And of course that never works. LOL! I especially love when we find out it’s just ’cause he’s hurt, or scared to let someone in, or thinks it’s “for her own good” to stay away from him… or maybe even just ’cause he’s just a plain ol’ ass, and doesn’t know any better! But I want the whole ride getting there, and he really needs to be a tough nut to crack. 😉
Here are a few of my own personal favorites!
Wild Reckless by Ginger Scott <— My own personal recommendation! It gives me a feel between Beautiful Disaster and Bully. And it doesn’t have a high school feel. It doesn’t read like one… if you’re thinking “young feel”, you know? I’m still in the first part but he is a JERK!!!!! And she has his scary-mean down really well. It doesn’t feel like he’s just play-acting the hateful mean jerk… he’s got that darkness to him and he makes me nervous which is SO fun! (my review)
Surviving Raine: Surviving Raine Book 1 by Shay Savage <— This guy is the ultimate JERK-FACED BULLY! I loved every single second of it. Being stuck on a floating dingy, and then an island… sharing “survival” space with a hot but hateful guy struggling with his own SERIOUS personal demons. He’s not just grumbly, my friends. He’s downright horrible. At times. Often. 😉 And Jean agrees! “I love this dirty talking, moody jerk!!!” MichelleS too! “Surviving Raine is absolutely a bully book… well… more of that total alpha male. He’s such a JERK… and alcoholic to boot…. and it’s Shay Savage… so YES…. that was a 5 star read for me.” (my review)
Twilight (The Twilight Saga Book 1) by Stephenie Meyer <— My VERY FIRST book bully ever. The idea that a hot classmate hated her SO much? THAT sucked me right in and I never put it down once. MY GOD I LOVED THIS BOOK! I blame it for my love of mean guys that are uber protective once they finally let someone in. (my review)
Lover Awakened (Black Dagger Brotherhood, Book 3) by J.R. Ward <— Zsadist’s “bully” status and meanest guy in this mean-guy group starts from book #1, so to get the full effect of just how mean he is, I’d of course, recommend starting from the beginning. It’s the slow buildup of how scary he is, and how ALL must avoid him, especially women, that makes HIS book the absolute best for me. Yes I know… you see this book on so many of my own personal recommendations. What can I say? It’s one the my absolute favorites, if not, my ABSOLUTE favorite of ’em all. And if you haven’t read it yet, and you’re looking for a hateful bully type that especially appears to reject one woman, this is for YOU! (my review)
And of course Christian Grey… (he’s got some bully tendencies… oh yes!!) and Barrons from Karen Marie Moning’s Fever Series. You know? Barron’s is the BIGGEST BULLY of them all, hands down. Yep… maybe even worse than Z. OH GOD I melted when we finally got a deeper look at Barrons and sure enough… he had a heart! Sorta. 😉 *sigh* But he’s pure 100% jerk-faced bully!
- Bully: The Fall Away Series by Penelope Douglas <— Kristina and (everyone!) recommend this one! (sidenote from Maryse: One of the most popular ones! I read it and loved it!! Here’s my review)
- Rival: A Fall Away Novel by Penelope Douglas <— and Marlie says the second one in the series fits too!
- The Line Between (The Line Between #1) by Tamsyn Bester <— Another one that Kristina recommends. “It wasn’t her fault, I knew that, but I wanted her to hurt the way I did, and I needed someone to blame. She was an easy target…“
- Nero (Made Men Book 1) by Sarah Brianne <— Kristina sent this one over, too! “The mob boss gave him orders to find out what she knows…” and Tessa agrees! “Oh, and read Nero! That… that was totally different and fun and yeah. He’s a bully.“
- Make Me (Make or Break Book 1) by Amanda Heath <— Kristina recommends it! Poor girl suddenly living rich… “Paisley has to navigate her new life and all the new people in it. While her mother might have lied about her grandparents, no one is lying about Channing. He’s beautiful, mean, arrogant, and turning her on.“
- The Deal (Off-Campus Book 1) by Elle Kennedy <— “…she’ll have to step out of her comfort zone and make him take notice…even if it means tutoring the annoying, childish, cocky captain of the hockey team in exchange for a pretend date.” Sidenote from Maryse: GAH I LOVED THIS ONE! I 5-starred it. So good!! (my review)
- The Nature of Cruelty by L.H. Cosway <— Mo suggests this one, and by that blurb, it’s perfect for this list! “The first time she laid eyes on her best friend’s twin brother she fell in love at first sight. It didn’t last very long. He was a hateful boy who made her miserable…“
- If You Stay (The Beautifully Broken Book 1) by Courtney Cole <— Mo recommends this one, too!
- Love and Relativity by Rachael Wade <— and this one, too! “‘It’s no secret that Jackson loves to get underneath her skin, but this time he’s gone too far…“
- Fallen Too Far: A Rosemary Beach Novel (The Rosemary Beach Series Book 1) by Abbi Glines <— Stephanie reminds us of this one saying: “… her father moving her into his new wife’s house with the bully stepbrother.” Yes!! Everyone’s a bully in this one and I loved it. (my review)
- Debt Inheritance (Indebted Book 1) by Pepper Winters <— I know SO many loved hating this jerk-faced bully! Laura says: “…he’s already a control freak bully u want to punch but are scared of o_o”
- Underestimated Box Set by Jettie Woodruff <— Speaking of mind mess ups, I’m loving Underestimated. It’s bad when part of you is rooting for an abusive jerk.
- Unforgiven by Elizabeth Finn <— Lisa recommends this one! “OMG the book where the guy is the biggest jerk to the girl is Unforgiven by Elizabeth Finn, I could not put it down he was such an A$:, but he felt he has reason but he starts feeling conflicted and becomes even more of an as$. Definitely should be on this list.”
- The Dark Highlander by Karen Marie Moning <— MichelleS recommends this one! “Daegus MacKeltar, the Dark Highlander, Karen M. Moning – he was sooooo dark, and sooooo hot…. and a Scot…. SOLD!”
- A Hunger Like No Other (Immortals After Dark, Book 1) by Kresley Cole <— And she recommends this one! “Lachlain MacRieve, Immortals After Dark Book One – the things he made our wee little Emmaline do…. OMG! Loved it.” I read this one too, and I remember thinking back then that he was TOO jerk-ish!! LOL!!! (my review)
- Captive in the Dark (The Dark Duet Book 1) by CJ Roberts <— And MichelleS likes them super-dark romance, too! “Caleb, from Captive in the Dark – the title alone should tell you how bad this boy was!” I LOVED it too… here’s my review.
- Fighting Destiny (The Fae Chronicles Book 1) by Amelia Hutchins <— MichelleS also considers this guy an ultimate bully! “Ryder in Fae Chronicles is a numero uno, first class major bully and alpha! He is so much like Barrons, it’s not even funny. What a jerk…. that I secretly lust after….” OH YES HE WAS!!! How could I have forgotten him? LOL! (my review)
- The Golden Dynasty (Fantasyland Series Book 2) by Kristen Ashley <— MichelleS loves her book-men bullies! And she also loves this one! “And Lhan in Golden Dynasty was a bad bad bad big warrior who did bad bad things to our heroine… and I FORGAVE him for it… go figure….” This is one of my favorite books by this author! (here is my review)
- Messed Up by Molly Owens <— Jennifer recommends this one! “I love bully books too. I’d add Messed Up by Molly Owens to the list.” Sure enough… sounds like a big ol’ tumultuous read! “What starts as a vicious prank one dark summer night leads sixteen year-old Chelsea Mallory plummeting into a MESSED UP world of obsession, a clandestine fraternity, a lost fortune, murder and ultimately a scramble to save her own life.”
- Reclaiming the Sand by A. Meredith Walters <— Sharee’s suggestion! “Reclaiming the Sand is also one.” In this one, the heroine was HIS bully! “When labels come to define you, finding yourself feels impossible. Particularly for two people disconnected from the world who inexplicably find a connection in each other. And out of the wreckage of their tragic beginnings, an unlikely love story unfolds…“
- Afterlife (Afterlife Saga Book 1) by Stephanie Hudson <— And this is Marit’s recommendation! “Oooh, I love this post Draven in the Afterlife Saga (book 1) by Stephanie Hudson! He’s being mean to her in the first book. Totally ignoring her and pushing her away. God how I love that book “
- The Neighbor from Hell Collection I by R.L. Mathewson <— Sara recommends this one and HECK YAH!!!! PERFECT suggestion, funny, infuriating, aggravating men and the women they torment. OMG YES!!! (my review of book #1 and book #2)
- The DUFF: (Designated Ugly Fat Friend) by Kody Keplinger <— Sara recommends this one too! Tessa does too saying: “DUFF. He was SUCH A JERK! He had her totally believing she was ugly and making her insecure. Ugh“
- DEBT by Nina G. Jones <— JenC suggests this one! “Another one that jumps to mind is Debt by Nina G. Jones.”
- DEVIANT by Jaimie Roberts <— Lauren’s #1 pick for this list! “Deviant by Jamie Roberts has to be my #1 pick….then book 2, REDEMPTION….well, the heroine faked her death at the end of book 1 to get away from the hero/bully/a$$hole so book 2 was him having a nervous breakdown about her not being around. He spent YEARS going into her house & moving things around….putting the toilet paper roll the “wrong way”, moving her car in the middle of the night (if it was backed in, he’d switch it & vice versa), even little stuff like moving a pen a few inches on her desk. Just to f**k with her.”
- RAW by Belle Aurora <— Lauren recommends this one! “Raw by Belle Aurora….OMG, how could I forget about Twitch? You guys remember this one? The “I fell in love with my stalker” book? It was insane!“
- Under Locke by Mariana Zapata <— Emma’s favorites! “Under Locke and Kulti by Mariana Zapata – 2 of my all time favourites – and they both started out as bullies but ended up being 2 of my favourite ever heroes.”
- Kulti by Mariana Zapata <— and Jean agrees with Emma that this one fits! “I’m reading Kulti right now and he’s a total jerk face!” (here’s my review)
- The Blood & Roses Series Box Set by Callie Hart <— Marina is reading this one and thinks it fits the list! “I’m reading Blood and Roses and Zeth is quite bullyish. Not sure though if that will change. Great read so far!!!!”
- Lothaire (Immortals After Dark Book 12) by Kresley Cole <— Ela says: “Oh and can’t forget Lothaire! I still chuckle remembering him and her exchanging “gifts” when he ticked her off so bad she fled.” Oh yesssss he was definitely an evil jerk-bully-face! (my review)
- Corrupted (The Manipulation Trilogy Book 1) by Alicia Taylor & Natalie Townson <— Marlie has a bunch of suggestions and this trilogy is one!
- Monster Stepbrother by Harlow Grace <— Another Marlie suggestion! Monster Stepbrother by Harlow Grace (I totally can’t wait for the next: Fearless Fighter)
- The After Series by Anna Todd <— Marlie mentions this one! From the blurb: “…he’s also rude—to the point of cruelty, even. For all his attitude, Tessa should hate Hardin. And she does—until she finds herself alone with him in his room.” yep it fits!
- The Devil Behind Me (Devil Trilogy Book 1) by Evangelene <— another one from Marlie.
- All About You (Love & Hate series #1): romantic suspense new adult and bad boy college romance by Joanna Mazurkiewicz <— and the last of Marlie’s suggestions! Ohhhh the blurb indicates she bullied him when they were teens, and now… “Now I’m starting a new life, away from Gargle and away from my past, but everything crashes when I see Oliver the first day at university. It’s clear that many things have changed since we’ve been apart. Now he is captain of the rugby team and the most popular bloke on campus. Then he makes a bet and gives me an ultimatum: I leave Braxton forever and start somewhere else, or I stay and play his game… because he’s never forgotten that it was me who ruined his life two years ago.“
- Fear Me (Broken Love Book 1) by B.B. Reid <— THIS ONE IS SUPER-BULLY DARK!! Kristina, and many of our fellow readers recommend it!
Kylie I have just finished reading Fear Me by B.B. Reid, and all I can say is WOW! Is was dark and twisted, HOT, nasty and kept me thinking the whole way through! Although the heroine in Fear Me did aggravate me at times – I felt she should/could have stood up for herself more.
Tessa: If you want bully, Fear Me is the best bet… The difference between Fear Me and Bully is Jared is horrid, but he’s a BBF horrid for me. Keiran… if I met him irl, I’d run the other way. *grins*… Fear Me is hot, but dark. To me, it’s not as good as Bully, but again, Bully stole my heart. That classroom scene where she’s giving a speech just makes me choke up every time. Fear Me makes me gasp and hide my head, and it’s well, hot. 😛 If BB Reid always writes this well, with such well developed characters, she’ll be an auto buy author.”
Deborah: …it’s like Bully met fiftyshadish….it’s my top favorite for this year….and it a little on the dark side…..I actually liked it better than Bully and I looooooved Bully…… I did like Fear me better than Bully but it’s quite different very dark (dubious consent) if you can handle things like that………let’s just say Fear me makes Bully look like sesame street 😉
Sidenote from Maryse: I was actually half way through it, and I did put it down ’cause OMG he is so much of a Bully and so are his friends, I was tooooooo furious. LOL! But that might be a good thing depending on what you’re in the mood for… 😉
- Bully Me by C.E. Stark weather <— I just found this one… “Slightly chubby and awkward, she tries her hardest to be invisible. But one boy makes that impossible. Shane Ellery is tall, muscular and handsome. And there is nothing he loves more than teasing Kaine. When a cruel twist of fate brings them together, it’s the worst day of Kaine’s life.“