So… who feels like having an intense ugly cry? A good bout of blubbering? A supreme sob-fest? I know… I know. Why!!?? Whyyyyy do we do this to ourselves? I mean, we fear the pain, we know going into these, what we *might* be in for (or at the very least, a few big fat ploppy tears). It freakin’ hurts! (P.S. Part one is here: 8 Books That Made Me Cry…)
Now of course, not all of them are going to make you cry because of what you *think* would be the obvious tear-jerking situation. Meaning, not everyone has to “die” to make me cry. 😉 Sometimes (maybe even most times), there’s an HEA!
Sometimes it’s just the incredible depth of emotion that is explored. Taken in, and experienced, personally by the reader. A devastating break up. A discovery. A memory. Sometimes it’s simply such a profound, beautiful experience that has us crying with incredible joy.
But there’s something just so addictive about books that make you feel that much. Books that make you think about them for days on end. Stories that have you crying again, just by remembering certain scenes. Tales that force you to change your top ’cause you soaked it with your tears (<— happened to me!). Or your pillow case as was the situation below, with one of our fellow readers. Using that same ratty shriveled and tear-soaked kleenex to sop up your never-ending cascade of sorrow, ’cause you thought one would be enough. Maybe you wouldn’t even need one, right? Until finally you relent, forcing yourself to go out in public (or at least, the rest of your house) to locate the box of tissues to finally let yourself really go. Yep. Happened to me, too. 😉 And I already had such a list, but WOW does it need an update!
Reesa: Can you make a list of books that made you ugly cry? Or am I not finding it? Love your page get every book from your recommendations.
Maryse: Hi Reesa! My personal list that I posted a year or so ago is a bit short, but there are a bunch of reader recommendations on it, too! Here it is: https://www.maryse.net/books/books-that-made-me-cry.html.
Charlotte: Cccccccrrrrrryyyyy. I now feel in the mood for a good cry! Please can you help? I have read most of the ones you have listed last year but was wondering if there has been any new recommendations for a good book that can give me a good cry!
Sharon: I love ugly cry books!!!
Erin: Wow! I am bookmarking this one. Idk why, but this is the type of books I’m feeling lately. Thanks Maryse.
Yep. You know what? I think it’s time for a part two… 😉 And here it is!
My latest “books that made me cry” recommendations (Quick Note: Okay so, while I used to pride myself on not being an easy “book-cryer”, it would seem I’m pretty much a book-cry-baby now, so for my list, I’m posting the ones that I remember my biggest emotional reactions from). AND then a list from our fellow readers right below it (and I’ve read the grand majority and cried in ’em too):
The Edge of Never by Jessica Redmerski <— Wow… my other list *IS* old, ’cause this one feels like a “classic” to me now, and it’s not even on that list! GAH!!!!! One of the biggest physical, visceral reactions I’ve EVER had reading a book… OMG!!!!!!!!! This one! Now I know so many of you already know I’m all about this book (and have already read it – like Lisa: “…absolutely loved both of these books. My all time favorites“), and Julie: “J.A. Redmerski is my favorite writer, her writing is truly remarkable!! She is absolutely out of this world awesome!!” but I also know there are a bunch of new fellow readers that have joined us in the last year and haven’t read it. Kimmie agrees: “I just read The Edge of Never on your recommendation. I couldn’t put it down. This book made me sob so much that I had to pause and wipe my tear because my vision was so blurry I couldn’t continue.” Take my advice. READ IT!!!!! 😀 One of my favorite books EVER!!! A tidbit from my review:
“Maybe two or three books total in my entire reading life that not only made me cry, but made me tremble and shake AFTER my cry-fest. After the fact. AFTER I finished the book. I’m still trembling as we speak.”
Check out my Book Review. You’ll see.
Me Before You: A Novel by Jojo Moyes
An UNDENIABLE favorite amongst SO many of us that love our tear-jerkers. Profound, real, exciting, intense and exquisite in every single way. WHAT. A. STORY! Every facet is explored lovingly and we get to feel it ALL. ALL. Bring that box of tissues with you. You’re gonna need it.A message that I sent to my friend Jackie (that bought me the book and insisted I read it):
“I cried (oh boy did I ever) … I know. I mean…. *spoiler* SO FREAKING HEARTBREAKING!!! I was going to text you at a certain point, and my husband said… “It’s like 4 am over there.” I said, “Too bad! She should know better. Time for her to wake up and comfort me.”
Here’s my Book Review.
Love, in English by Karina Halle <—- Oh GOSH the bus ride… not the first one (although awwww!!! LOVED it). But the second one. And all of it after… Yep. CRIED!!!!!!!! What a LOVE story!! A bit from my review:
“6:52am and I’m reading. And crying… Lucky i still have half of the book to go, but OMG if I’m already crying I’m in for it.”
Here’s my Book Review.
Forever, Interrupted: A Novel by Taylor Jenkins Reid <— I sobbed pretttttyyyyy much… through the whole. Darn. Thing. There are no words. While I loved her other book (After I Do) a half star more than this one, THIS one made me soak my pajama top. And that’s what we’re looking for, right? 😉 Wanna sneak peek at my pain?
I was just… moved beyond belief, stunned into silence as big fat tears plopped off my cheeks, soaking my pajama top. And then I backed up, and re-read that last chapter again. And sobbed some more.”
Here’s my Book Review.
Fifty Shades Darker: Book Two of the Fifty Shades Trilogy by E.L. James
I absolutely LOVED this series wayyyyy back in the day it was still indie, and while it was intense and emotional and romantic and angsty as HECK, there was a scene in the book that BROKE me. If you read this, you know the scene. A certain scene of “breaking”… submission. One of the most intense, sad, desperate, heartbreaking scenes that burned it’s way into my head and heart forever! And Jessica agrees: “Fifty Shades by E.L. James. — Need I say anything? Just wow. Out of all the 50 times I have read all three of the books I will NEVER get over them! Christians past & everything about him brought a tear to my eye or a smile to my face. Who could not love & cry over him?” Want a hint of my reaction from my review?
“OMG… Reading book 2 of Fifty Shades of Grey, I’m about halfway through and something so shocking just happened… I didn’t see it coming, and then all of the sudden I knew it would, and then… it did. Oh wow. My heart…”
Here’s my Book Review.
Arsen. A broken love story by Mia Asher
One of the most sob-inducing romance/anti-romance novels I’ve ever read. Oh it was a rough start for me at first. I was hovering on… well. Not caring much either way. But then it kicked in and BURNED it’s way into my mind. My heart. This one made me sob so hard I shook my mattress… making my husband’s snores sound funny. LOL!!!! *thank goodness he was asleep ’cause I looked ridiculous* And Toski agrees: “That one killed me.. “Not tonight Cathy.” <– haunts me” . Oumaima is right there with us! “Never cried more than when I was reading Arsen by Mia Asher, I’m still searching for that one book that would make me feel as much as I did while reading the jewel that Arsen is…” Would you like a hint at how much I loved it?
“OMG I was wrecked. The emotion was building and building and then my anger turned to devastation. And in my absolute agony, I was delighted. This was the kind of soul-deep reaction that makes me never forget a book, and want to scream it from the rooftops. It. made. me. FEEL.”
Here’s my Book Review.
Bad Things (Tristan & Danika Book 1) by R.K. Lilley <— I LOVE when LOVE stories make me cry ’cause of break ups and crazy stuff in the relationship. It’s just a touch less devastating but still so devastating in it’s own right. This is one of those series!!! Crazy, angsty, tumultuous, bad-for-you love, but undeniable, unforgettable love, too. Wanna see a touch of my tears?
TEARS!!!!! OMG!!!!! THAT TORE my heart out. Oh it got torn out multiple times, mind you, but THAT? GAH!!! … So the fact that you guys say I haven’t seen nothing yet? Prepare to hold me, my friends. That was already hard enough. The author mentions “trainwreck” and she wasn’t kidding…
Here’s my Book Review.
The Last Hour (Thompson Sisters Book 3) by Charles Sheehan-Miles
Pure sob-inducing ecstasy. Oh gosh… even my mom cried. Yeah… this. Beautifully written, beautifully lived, just plain beautiful. Heartbreaking. Real. This. And Rebecca agrees: “…absolutely gutted me.” A part of my review:
I had to distance myself as I was reading. It’s a… “reflex”. A self-preservation thing where if I have a good grasp of a painful issue right off the bat, well… I go into self-preservation mode. But it never works. I can hold back all I want. I can manage to reach the “sad” parts and maybe only tear up. Maybe only shed a tear, even. But it catches up to me. ALWAYS. Holding back only delays the inevitable.
Here’s my Book Review.
Reader Recommendations (P.S. I read a ton of these below, and agree with SO many of these recommendations. This is where my newfound “book-crybaby” status comes in. LOL!!! I included a link to my reviews next to each one that I also read).
- Me Before You: A Novel by Jojo Moyes <— I’m right there with you guys on this one Gretchen: “Just finished Me Before You and I was crying so much my Husband asked me if I was ok!” and Kelley “I just wanted to thank you for recommending Me Before You by Jojo Moyes. I started and finished it today, and I am still crying over it! I think I ugly cried through the last 100 pages even though I knew what was coming. The line that killed me, though, was when she told him it *spoiler* and he said, “*spoiler*” UGH. I just lost it.” <— OH GOSH yes!!! I spoilered ’em out just in case, but believe me. YES! And Nicole: “Me Before You by Jojo Moyes. Ugly cry making everything blurry and dripping tears on the pages.” and Lily agrees: “Absolutely heart-wrenching, proper wailing material. And beautiful, beautiful, beautiful…”(my Book Review)
- Ugly Love: A Novel by Colleen Hoover <— Michelle says: “everything Colleen Hoover writes….” Yep. It is pretty clear that Colleen Hoover likes to make her readers cry! 😛 Almost every book in her repertoire made this list (and they have been mentioned over and over again by our fellow readers). This latest one? Perfect for this list! In fact Carri says: “Ugly Love? Change the name to Ugly Cry, because that’s what you’re going to do. My favorite read of the summer!” and ciaradh agrees! “Ugly Love made me cry so much I had to change my pillow cover..I had to finish it the day I bought it and I kept reading until 2 AM.” (my Book Review)
- Slammed: A Novel by Colleen Hoover <— Oh yeah. I carve pumpkins over this one for sure! Ummm… if you haven’t read it yet, you’ll get what that means when you do. 😉 Flor cries over this one, too! “Slammed was definitely the one I’ve felt the most and I’ve reread it a bunch of times and I still cry when I read it! These books are so well written you can’t help it, you gotta love them!” (my Book Review)
- Hopeless by Colleen Hoover <— Colleen Hoover makes us cry with all of her books, it would seem. Trish cried over this one! “Hopeless really made me cry so damn hard, I tried to hold back my tears but my eyes betrayed me. It was just so amazing, the story was incredibly awesome.” (my Book Review)
- Trust Me (TAT: A Rocker Romance Book 1) by Melanie Walker <— Oh! Bad boy rockers that will make us cry? YES PLEASE!! Patty LOVED these: “OMG… I JUST READ Trust Me AND Forgive Me (TAT: Rocker romance) by melanie walker……Omg.. I have cried before with books, but this duet I did the ugly cry, I’m hoping there will be a 3rd book. This is up there with beautiful disaster, hopeless, the mighty storm… I have never contacted you since following you for 2 years about a book, these books gutted me.”
- Transcendence by Shay Savage <— Melody wants more like this one! “I bought Shay Savage’s Transcendence about a month ago, and for some reason I didn’t begin reading it; I kept skipping over it….BUT…. I decided to try it this week and now I can’t get it out of my head!!!! I mean, wow!!! I loved it! I even ugly cried!!! I have tried to start other books, but my brain keeps going back to that one!!! It’s becoming a problem! Ha. What do I do in this situation? Could you recommend something?” (my Book Review)
- Coming Home by Priscilla Glenn <—- Kristina cried over this one! “Coming Home by Priscilla Glenn. A total 5 star read for me. I would rate it up there with Asher’s Voice & Left Drowning. I laugh, smiled & ugly cried my way through the whole damn thing! Ooh, and it has a major secret / twist that kind of propels the first half of the book. Seriously, for me this book was perfection.” (my Book Review)
- Wethering the Storm (The Storm Series) by Samantha Towle <— Oh! This one might make us blubber!! Now THAT is an ugly cry. LOL!! Amy did! “OMG!! I started and finished Wethering the Storm, the book after The Mighty Storm, yesterday. You HAVE to read this. Your review of the first book says you cried. Just wait! I was a blubbering fool and I think my heart stopped at “the” one point. It’s still beating unsteady. LOL! You definitely won’t be disappointed with this book.“
- Don’t Make Me Beautiful by Elle Casey <— Oh I remember this one’s blurb. Gave me a jolt and after this recommendation by Shanda, I MUST read it!!! ASAP! “It was wow…. I mean WOW!!! Amazing story, Elle Casey writes her characters with such depth, it is raw with emotions that will just reach down and touch your soul. I felt like I was being sucked right into their world, I cried when they cried and I laughed when they laughed, and hurt when they hurt. I have a feeling this book will stay with you many days after finishing.“
- The Hunger Games Trilogy by Suzanne Collins <— Yep! I cried. And so did Sarah: “The hunger games trilogy I ugly cried all night long when I finished” (my Book Review of #1)
- Every Rose by Lynetta Halat <— Yep! Cried. So did Stephanie: “My ugly cry book was Every Rose by Lynetta Halat” (my Book Review)
- The Bronze Horseman (The Bronze Horseman Trilogy Book 1) by Paullina Simons <— Renate says: “Easy….The Bronze Horseman by Paulina Simons!” And Michelle agrees: “Several parts of the Bronze Horseman Trilogy (involving lakes and such)….” And Jill agrees too! “I am not a person to cry. Never have been. BUT…. The Bronze Horseman about did me in – the ending especially. I could barely finish it. ” And me too! Oh GOSH yes!!!! Me too!!! (my Book Review)
- Making Faces by Amy Harmon <— This is Mandy’s “Ugly Cry” pick. “Making Faces by Amy Harmon. First ugly cry… reliving 9/11 through the eyes of teenagers in a classroom. There were a few more ugly cries through this book, but telling where would be a spoiler.” and Rebecca agrees: “…major wailing, weeping, and snot involved…” <— Hehe. Ew! 😉 (my Book Review)
- Written in My Own Heart’s Blood: A Novel (Outlander Book 8) <— Michelle cried with this one! “Parts of Written in My Own Heart’s Blood (involving roofs and such)….” Gah!! I love this series and need to catch up so I can cry over this one, too!
- Crazy Good by Rachel Robinson <— Jo suggests this one “Oh and Crazy Good!” YES YES YESSSS!!! Oh YES. BIG FAT TEARS for me. Wow. WOW!!!! I loved that book so hard! (my Book Review)
- Against All Odds by Angie McKeon <— Jessica’s recommended tear-jerker: “Against All Odds by Angie McKeon… I’m not a big cryer and this book had me ugly crying for chapters!!!” and Sharon agrees: “Ugly cried at the prologue!!“
- CARNAGE: Book #1 The Story Of Us by Lesley Jones <— Whitney recommends these “CARNAGE and CARNAGE #2… Geeze. These were definitely books that made me cry.” and Michelle agrees! “Carnage (The Story of Us) – I mean really, that is NOT suppose to happen in books…. at least not books I read!” and Tracie agree, too! “Ugly cry for me carnage 1 & 2 ugly crying for sure …” and Nikki (for this one, and the one just below): “Carnage by Lesley Jones and Captured by Jasinda Wilder…I cried, literally sobbing with real ugly tears and drowned myself in ice cream.” (my Book Review)
- Captured by Jasinda Wilder <— Oh yes!! This one gave me a serious blurb jolt. I wanna read it, especially after Lesley said: “Captured by the Wilder’s. So good. A tortured POW with a bad case of PTSD. Marine wife left home struggling with life and her own grief. Lots of feels. Good stuff.“
- Unbeloved (Undeniable Book 4) by Madeline Sheehan <— Awwwww!! I agree with Jan when she says: “Unbeloved – when a tough biker cries so do I. There were a couple of sobs through book. It was the last book I ever expected to cry in“. I need to read this one since I was so highly anticipating it. It came out right around Book Bash so I was a bait too scattered, but I’m back and ready for it!! 😀
- Holding On (Lights of Peril Book 1) by A.C. Baxtor <— Speaking of bikers and crying, somewhere in this series (lots of books in it, so I’m not sure exactly which one)… had many ugly crying! Michelle said: “And Lights of Peril Series…. again… that is NOT supposed to happen in books!!!!“
- PS, I Love You: A Novel by Cecelia Ahern <— Sherida recommends this one! “p.s. I love you by Cecelia Ahern: When I started reading this book I was sitting in the tram (public transportation) and I had to shut down the e-reader b/c people started to notice the weird women crying in her seat. Utterly embarrassing.” <— that MOVIE turned me into a blubbering mess. I can’t even fathom trying to actually read it. I wouldn’t be able to see the words through all of the tears…
- The Problem With Crazy (Crazy in Love Book 1) by Lauren McKellar <— Kristine says: “The problem with crazy by Lauren McKellar – I was devestated for 2 weeks after it” TWO WEEKS!??? Gah. This sounds perfect!
- Wynn In Doubt by Emily Hemmer <— Another one on Kristine’s cry-list! “Wynn in doubt – Emily Hemmer – my husband asked me what was wrong who died…” Oh yesssss I love when husband’s are so struck by our tears that they feel the need to get involved. LOL!!
- More Than Forever (More Than Series, Book 4) by Jay McLean <— Another recommendation from Kristine: “More than forever – Jay McLean – gahhh months later and I still get teary thinking about it…“
- Forbidden by Tabitha Suzuma <— Right there with you on this one, Kristine! I read it too! She says: “Forbidden – Tabitha Suzuma – ugly crying isn’t even the word – this book broke me in ways I didn’t even know were possible…” and Michelle agrees: “Forbidden scared me too, but I had a friend call me @ 3am sobbing about this book, so much so I couldn’t understand what she was saying through the hiccups & blowing her nose. So- I hung up w/her, threw caution to the wind & downloaded it. Needless to say, after not getting any sleep that night & reading the entire next day I was an all cried out walking zombie. Oh & I have 2 brothers so I definitely was feeling the creepy yuck factor before starting this book, BUT am so happy I did….” (my Book Review)
- Kismet by A.E. Woodward <— And one more by Kristine (her reactions have me really excited to try these!). She says: “Kismet by AE Woodward – I still can’t write a review because I’m still to raw” <– Whoa.
- Left Drowning by Jessica Park <— Erin’s choice: “Left Drowning by Jessica Park!! I know it’s older, but I just read it. It’s one of the best books I’ve ever read.” (my Book Review)
- Innocents (Dusty Book 1) by Mary Elizabeth & Sarah Elizabeth <— Teresa’s choices are: “This year’s ugly cry books for me were Innocents by Mary Elizabeth…
- Don’t Let Go by Sharla Lovelace,
- Tethered by LD Davis,
- Death of a Rock Star: A Boy in the Band Novella by NJ Frost and
- After I Do: A Novel by Taylor Jenkins Reid <— Agreed Teresa. I read this one and it is one of my favorites this year!!!! (my Book Review)
- Taking Chances by Molly McAdams <— Carri’s choice: “of course, the ultimate ugly cry, Taking Chances by Molly McAdams. Unfortunately, there is nothing about either that I can say that would not spoil both. Just read!” and Jenna agrees: “Taking Chances by molly mcadams. I cried so hard and almost couldnt finish reading. For days i cried.an thinking bout it still upsets me and i read it over 2 months ago!” Yep. I cried with this one, too! (my Book Review)
- Mud Vein by Tarryn Fisher <— Betty’s choice! “Mud Vein. Cried. Pathetically.” and Bethany agrees: “Mud Vein still guts me. Any little thing can trigger it. A carousel, rope, drums… It’ll hit me at the weirdest times!” and Jill says: “If I even hear Landscape I start balling.” and then MichelleS said: “I did cry like a blubbering fool at the end of that one…. going through all of THAT crazy mind-f#ck and then, then, then…. you KNOW….. my throat is starting to hurt again just thinking about it.” <— YEP! YES!!!! (my Book Review)
- Unforgiven by Elizabeth Finn <— Dina loved it! “Unforgiven – Elizabeth Finn. Gut wrenching, emotional read… Loved it. But make sure you have tissues.” LOL! Okay so that one scraggly one next to my bed ain’t gonna cut it, huh? 😉 Thanks for the warning!
- Emi Lost & Found Series by Lori Otto <— Jessica’s choice and so many of us loved (and cried with) this one! (my Book Review)
- Present Perfect by Alison Bailey <— Jen LOVED it! “Present Perfect by Alison Gaskin Bailey. One of my favorite books ever!!!”
- The Saint: The Original Sinners Book 5 by Tiffany Reisz <— Angie’s choice! “I cried really hard reading The Saint by Tiffany Reisz. It was so beautifully written and Nora’s pain was so palpable through every word. That intense longing she felt for Soren and him for her… God! Just the way the story as a whole was laid out, it was painful yet exquisite.“
- Beloved (The Belonging Series #1) by Corinne Michaels <— Sharon’s recommendation.
- Between Before and After by Amanda Dick <— Sharon recommends this one, too! Holy moly that cover already makes me wanna cry!
- Because of Ellison by M.S. Willis <— Laura’s choice: “I cried through most of this book.”
- There is No Light in Darkness (Darkness #1) (Darkness Series) by Claire Contreras <— Laura recommends this one, too!
- Vital Sign by J.L. Mac <— and she recommends this one, too: “…it is a story that has the true ugly version of grief. She lost her husband and she has to go meet three people who received his organs. It’s a beautiful/ugly story about grief, moving on, and love.” Oh YES! I remember this blurb. YES YES YES!!! Sounds sooooo good!
- Me Without You by Kelly Rimmer <— Leanne suggests this one! From the blurb: “My Lilah, who gave me so much, and yet kept from me a secret that she knew would break my heart.” Oh noooo I’m already sad!
- The Unwanted Wife (The Unwanted Series) by Natasha Anders <— Suzy cried over this one: “The Unwanted Wife by Natasha Anders is the first one that pops in my head”
- When It Rains (Rains Standalone Book 1) by Lisa De Jong <— I knew this one was going to come up! I cried too! Jennifer says: “I was reading it in bed & by the end was in the fetal position heaving & sobbing!! The kind if crying that gives you the hiccups and leaves your sinuses plugged up the next day.” (my Book Review)
- The Resurrection of Aubrey Miller by L.b. Simmons <— Adrienne lets us know which ones made her cry: ” I’ve been fortunate enough to ugly cry a few times this year. Each story is different, each author amazing. ALL these books are worth the ugly tears!”
- Loving Mr. Daniels by Brittainy Cherry <— Another of Adrienne’s recommendations and YES I MUST AGREE!!! I LOVED this one too! (my Book Review) and
- Dust to Dust (Experiment in Terror #9) by Karina Halle <— Adrienne also suggest this one! This is the conclusion to one of my favorite series in the world, so I can imagine I will cry!
- Bright Side by Kim Holden <— Hope loved a few from above, AND this one! “Have several – the Emi Lost and Found series by Lori Otto, Bright Side by Author Kim Holden, and Carnage by Lesley Jones – all big fat ugly cry can’t breathe tears!! “
- Rainfall by Melissa Delport <— Jill says: “Rainfall. When the truth come out. OMG! Gutted me.” <— YES!! Yessssssss OMG YES!!!! I LOVED this book!! (here’s my Book Review)
- Book Boyfriend Series Boxed Set <— Stacey says: “Erin Noelle’s book boyfriend series abosolutely adored them even during my ugly tears”
- Blood Promise: A Vampire Academy Novel by Richelle Mead <— Carla has a few paranormals that made her cry, and I was RIGHT THERE WITH HER!!! “Blood Promise – Chr!st! This was another book that i cried the whole time. Rose’s pain was too much for me. I had to lock myself in my room and put my pillow in my face.” and Mala agrees: “Wow! Most heartbreaking YA books i’ve ever read.” (here’s my Book Review)
- Destined for an Early Grave (Night Huntress, Book 4) by Jeaniene Frost <— And this one! Carla says: ” Destined for an early grave – I cried like a baby when he *spoiler* her and then when she *spoiler* him. God that was bad for me.” <— YES. This book KILLED ME. I will never forget that scene, and that whole intense “thing”. One of my favorite books ever! And Jeannie agrees! “Yes, that scene broke my heart. When he told her…..and then she….Wow, so intense.” <— YEP!! (here’s my Book Review)
- Trust in Advertising by Victoria Michaels <— This one also made Carla cry: “Trust in Advertising – Oh that end… I couldn’t stop crying.”
- The Darkest Night (Lords of the Underworld Book 1) by Gena Showalter <— Kara has a paranormal one that made her cry, too! “The other biggie for me was a particularly heart wrenching scene in the first book in the Lords of the Undearworld Series by Gena Showalter “The Darkest Night” between Ashlyn and Maddox…..loved me some Maddox ” and Heidi agrees! “If you are looking for a book that lays all the emotion out there, you have to try Gen Showalter’s first book in the Lords of the Underworld series: The Darkest night. I have read them all and it will probably always be my favorite. It will literally rip your heart out. There is such a gut-wrenching grief at the end of the book that you can’t help but ache for them. Please give this one a try.” (here’s my Book Review)
- Acheron (Dark-Hunter, Book 12) (Dark-Hunter Novels) by Sherrilyn Kenyon <— Another paranormal masterpiece! Yani says: “This was my # 1 up until Slammed, this series is one of my favorites and this is my favorite character and for 15 (?) books we kept getting glimpses of his story, but I don’t think we had an idea of what this character went through. It broke my heart over and over again, specially to think that even though this is fiction to many people suffer like that in real life. His childhood was just horrible.” And Brandy agrees: “Ohhhh man I forgot about Acheron that was a big one for me!” (here’s my Book Review)
- Heart on a Chain by Cindy C. Bennett <— Yani loved this one, too! “OMG this book, also with the main character having a horrible abusive childhood, I couldn’t believe what I was reading and at times had to put it down because it was too much. And again I kept thinking of all the kids that go through abuse like that every single day, I felt her pain, her fear, it was a tough read.“
- Collision Course by S.C. Stephens <— Another Yani tear-jerker: “*sigh* so tragic, yet such a wonderful story of healing. I love SC, the way she develops the characters on her books is just amazing, you feel like you know them and you can’t help but be affected the way the are, if they are happy you are too, if they are angry you are too. I felt their pain, very tragic situations, but also felt their growth.” and Mariel agrees: “I cried almost the whole night because the characters and the pain and love felt so real to me… :’)” and Krysta agrees: “I didn’t know i could physically shed so may tears. For beginning to end I was a blubbering fool. In my opinion a definite must read!!“
- Handle with Care: A Novel by Jodi Picoult <— Sheri’s suggestion: “my 1st Jodi Picoult & boy did that have me bawling!”
- After The Night by Linda Howard <— recommended by Jessica: “OMG! If you have never read this wonderful book, I strongly recommend it to you. It just completely tore me up inside. The way everybody treated Faith and how they seen her just broke my heart for her. The pride she had for herself enough to be strong & face everyone that thought ill of her just made me so envious! And how Gray treated her? After they first be together, what he says to her just blew my mind! But when he let himself feel for her? LOVED IT!”
- North of Need (Hearts of the Anemoi) by Laura Kaye <— Jane says: “…had me sobbing earlier this year, when Megan left to get some time to herself and Owen was trapped in the house with *spoiler* and the *spoiler*. Yup, triple Kleenex for me…“
- Lover Eternal (Black Dagger Brotherhood, Book 2): A Novel of the Black Dagger Brotherhood by J.R. Ward <— Jane suggests this one: “…especially when Mary sends Rhage away then realises her mistake and comes running back out to him. For some reason I also particularly love the scene in his car, where she asks him to “drive fast”. I’m filling up thinking about it” <— I LOVED it, too!! (my Book Review)
- Hot Night by Shannon McKenna <— Jane cried with this one, too! “…it twisted my emotions as bad-boy Zan and nice-girl Abby kept falling apart at the seams”
- Sacrificial Magic (Downside Ghosts) by Stacia Kane <— Mala loved this one: “The BIG fight between Terrible and Chess was devastating . And The way Stacia Kane describes her feeling in the aftermath it’s very realistic . She just … broke my heart .” and I MUST agree. This is one of my favorite paranormal series ever (even the book before this one!), and the reason I love it so much is for the intensity of the romantic angst. SUCH agonizing torture and delight!!!!!!!! (my Book Review)
- If I Stay by Gayle Forman <— Missy says: “I did not cry at any of those books. But there is one that got me. If I stay – Gayle Forman” Oh yes. This one’ll get ya! (my Book Review)
- Dragonfly in Amber (Outlander Book 2) by Diana Gabaldon <— Jeannie cried!! “Even though I knew it was coming, the scene broke my heart and had me sobbing.” Yep. (my Book Review)
- Poppy’s Passions by Stephanie Beck <— Rebecca recommends this one! “Poppy’s Passion by Stephanie Beck made me cry.”
- Phantom by Susan Kay <— Robyn says: “Gawd I love that book!”
- Before I Die by Jenny Downham <— Amy cried! “I cried from page three until the end. I could not even finished the last 10 pages without blowing my nose every few lines. I was still teared up hours after. I did not even start another book for more then 24 hours after I finished. Odd for me as I read sometimes 5 books a week”
- Love You Hate You Miss You by Elizabeth Scott <— Amy recommends this one, too! “An emotional story of regret, loss and moving on.”
- Never Change by Elizabeth Berg <— Nicole highly recommends this one! “…the one book that has stuck in my mind for several years is: Elizabeth Berg~ Never Change (this book made me cry over and over every time I thought about it). A must read!”
- The Lovely Bones by Alice Sebold <— Made Norma cry! “I read The Lovely Bones way before it was a movie. The book is so much better.I thought. I cried thru it.” and Bev agrees: “I’m not a big book crier. The Lovely Bones did me in.“
- The Flame and the Flower (Birmingham Book 1) by Kathleen E. Woodiwiss <— and this one, too!
- The Power of One: Young Readers’ Condensed Edition by Bryce Courtenay <— Mel loved these: “There are a couple of books that got me though, truly moving, powerful and sometimes hard to keep going! The Power of One and its sequel Tandia by Bryce Courtenay are amazing…”
- God Shaped Hole: A Novel by Tiffanie DeBartolo <— Monique recommends it! “When you get the chance, check out God-Shaped Hole by Tiffanie DeBartolo.”
- Cry No More (Howard, Linda) by Linda Howard <— Kat loved it! “I would like to add Linda Howard’s “Cry No More” to the list. I tear up while reading many books, but this one had me sobbing.” and Carol agrees! “Oh great list! I forgot about Cry No More by Linda Howard. I sobbed so hard that I had a headache for hours after it.“
- Firefly Lane by Kristin Hannah <— Theresa recommends this one! “I have a terrible habit of occasionally reading ahead…which I did with this book. I found a part that made me cry like a baby and then I was so mad at the book I put it down for a couple of weeks. My BFF and reading buddy, kept telling me to finish it, so finally I picked it up again and I did finish it, but even knowing what was coming I still cried like a baby, twice more before I was done with the book.” and Sheri agrees! “OMG…I totally forgot about Firefly Lane. That book had me bawling like a baby. I must add that to my list!“
- Years by LaVyrle Spencer <— Bridget LOVES this one! “Years by LaVyrle Spencer. Favorite book ever!” and my mom and aunt agree! I need to read this ASAP!
- Forever My Girl (The Beaumont Series Book 1) by Heidi McLaughlin <— Kylee cried! Her husband was worried. LOL! “My husband was totally freaked out that I was crying. He asked why I was reading it if it made me cry! Usually he doesn’t ask anymore, he just awkwardly pats my back, but he knew I had just started the book, so couldn’t believe I was already crying!”
- Reason To Breathe (The Breathing Series, #1) by Rebecca Donovan <— Kylee loved this one, too! “Good freaking Lord! I haven’t finished the second book yet. I want the third book out first, so I can start reading it as soon as I’m done with the second. I know I will sob through the other books in the series!” (my Book Review)
- Night Road (Reading Group Gold) by Kristin Hannah <— This one made Erin cry! “If you want a book that will make you bawl read “The night road” by Kristin Hannah. Omg!!!! This one hits all the fear and pain when you are a parent. So so so good. I also just read “Home Front” by Kristin Hannah. Also made me cry but not quite as good as the night road.”
- Home Front: A Novel by Kristin Hannah <— and Jennifer LOVED it! “OMG I cried for 4 hours straight. My eyes were a wreck the next day. I’m sooo glad my husband and son weren’t home. They would have laughed their butts off. jerks.”
- Falling Into You by Jasinda Wilder <— Barbara cried! “falling into you by jasinda wilder. you know what’s going to to happen, but daaang if you don’t end up snot-bubble-blowing-ugly-crying anyway! and talk about steamy….whoa. i’ll never look at doorframes the same way again )))”
- Chasing Nikki (Chase Walker Book 1) by Lacey Weatherford <— Krystal’s tear-jerker: “The first book that had me bawling… literally sobbing my heart out was Chasing Nikki… holy sh!t! I had read reviews and was warned I would need a box of tissues so I did expect tears but I really didn’t think I would need an actual whole box… well I came very close. And I had to walk away from my Kindle for a few minutes just to compose myself enough to continue reading.”
- Playing in the Rain by Jane Harvey-Berrick <— Debbie gave us her friend’s “cry-list” and this one is on it!
- Today Only by D. Love <— And this one! “In life, there are times you are granted a miracle. It may not be the one you wanted exactly, but it will be the one you need. It will prepare you for the next step in your journey and help you learn to accept the life you are given, even if that life can be heartbreaking.“
- The Note by Teresa Mummert <— and this one…
- Barefoot In the Grass by Judith Arnold <— and this one!
- Deeper We Fall (Fall and Rise, Book One) by Chelsea M. Cameron <— and this one!
- Away by B.A. Wolfe <— Trisha says: “Great list. Away by B. A. Wolfe is the last book that made me cry” and then more started piping in about it’s awesomeness.
Tracie: Away by B.a. Wolfe, outstanding and made me cry like a girl
Kod: …I don’t like to cry or sad books. Like at all. Ever. Then one day this girl I shall never forgive (Tracie Payne) said, “read this book… It’s sooo good!) Unsuspecting, I did. I was a blubbering MESS!!! The book was Away by BA Wolfe. A must read MARYSE! So good and I eventually thanked T for the rec. Loved it!
Tracie: It’s soo good! Kodi you loved it. And I have Trisha Reads to thank for that as well. She totally got me
Kodi: FYI! Go in blind with that one peeps!
Tracie: Yes^^ only way to go
Trisha: When I said it was the last book I read that made me cry, I failed to mention I made a few others cry as well. It is worth every tear, but as my friends above said, just go in blind and expect one beautiful emotional ride. This debut book blew me away.
- What’s Left of Me by Amanda Maxlyn <— Toski recommends this one! “Its gut wrenching as well. Beautiful but shreds your heart”
- Fighting Redemption by Kate McCarthy <— Rebecca suggests this one: “Fighting Redemption by Kate McCarthy, was one of my biggest Fugly cries this year, several times through the book, but she beautifully puts us back together.” and Dana agrees: “I cannot put into words how amazingly beautiful this story is…you cry, you laugh, you shout, you cry again. A box of tissues is a definite with the book…”
- Drifting into Darkness by J.M. La Rocca <— Kim says “…gutted me”.
- Love is a Fire (Burning Lovesick Book 1) by Lyssa Layne <— Dana recommends this one! “…she rips your heart out but slowly puts it back together (and I hope its finally healed in the 2nd book)”
- Promises Hurt (The Promises Series Book 1) by Elle Brooks <— and Dana recommends this one, too: “…you know from the beginning it will be a tear jerker but its still guts you.”
- Broken Wings by Erica Ashby <— This one sealed Lauren’s eyes shut! Eeeeep!! 😉 “Broken Wings by Erica Ashby. I’m not a big cryer (having 4 brothers, no sisters & 3 sons, no daughters….I live in a sea of testosterone) but this book….OMG, my eyes swelled shut I cried so hard.”
- Tempt My Heart: A Brittan McKenna Story by Danielle Jamie <— Danicka’s cry-choice: “Big fat ugly cry. But don’t let that deter you because it’s also about second chances. Has a hot Marine & a Rock star. Just really good!“
- Watch Over Me by Tara Sivec <— Bev’s recommendation: “…great book and so different than her other book I’d read. And it brought the tears.”
- Ruining Me by Nicole Reed <— Mandy recommends this one! “I can say I don’t think any other books had me crying like Ruining Me and Ruining You by Nicole Reed. Literally balling my eyes out. If I haven’t read them you should add them to your list.” and Krystal agrees: “The only other books that have had me that emotionally wound up and devastated and uncontrollably sobbing were Ruining Me and Ruining You. These were 2 awesome reads but holy hell did they wrench my heart.“
- Ruining You by Nicole Reed <— and here’s the second one!
- The Tied Man by Tabitha McGowan <— I hear this one’s a dark read but will make you cry! Laura says: “The Tied Man by Tabitha McGowan!!!! Oh it was horrific I think I cried the whole book! I’m crying just thinking about him…. Oh maryse it’s dark very very dark great story but oh if u felt sorry for archer in archers voice this guy will break ur heart so much…” and then: “Oh the tied man is in the freezer Amy not because it’s scary it’s just to much!! Oh u will need a reading buddy to get through it’s an amazing story though u want to commit violence towards some of them yourself oh I think I will have to read it again just for the torture lol…“