So! Who’s in recovery mode from the last few MEGA Christmas days? I think I fell asleep last night at 10:30pm and slept straight through until 8:30am this morning. TEN HOURS of full sleep!! But truth be told, I could have gone to sleep at 8pm last night and done the same thing. 😉 12 hours of sleep.? I’m sure I could have. WOW! Yeah, I was exhausted
But! Time to gear up for the New Year and celebrate that big day, along with posting my favorites from 2014, in just a couple of days. I’m working on that as we speak.
Sooooo… what’d’jall get? Books? Kindles? iPads? Snuggly blankets, fuzzy slippers and pj’s to read in? LOTS and LOTS of hugs?? <— MY FAVORITE! Did you guys come across any fantastic new (or old) books that you’d like to recommend to us to kick off our new year? I know a few of us are all ears!
Like Pam. She asks:
Pam: Alright fellow readers…. I haven’t been motivated to read in over a month. The last book I read was NOCTE and loved it. HELP….I need your 5* , couldn’t put down reccs. I just wanna read and be completely captivated.
Lauren: I’ve said it before & I’m saying it again…. Love In Rewind by Tali Alexander. Or the Corps Security books by Harper Sloan. Best mob romance I’ve read in a while is The Boss’s Love by Casey Clipper. Terrible title so I almost didn’t buy it but it was excellent! Archer’s Voice by Mia Sheridan….can’t forget that one. Major 5*
Jennifer: I’m in a book slump as well. The last several books I’ve read we’re let downs. The last books I read that I couldn’t put down was the Kathleen Turner Series by Tiffany Snow. They are free if you have kindle unlimited. Rainfall by Melissa Delport was amazing as well. The Blood & Roses Series by Callie Hart was awesome, too.
Stephanie Moles-Krayeski My favorite books of 2014 are: The Law of Moses by Amy Harmon, Black Lies by Alessandra Torre, Transcendence by Shay Savage, and Made: A Sempre Novel (Sempre Series). To read Made, I recommend that you read the entire Sempre Series, which are the best Mafia Romance Books that I have ever read! I also agree with Jennifer – the Kathleen Turner Series is absolutely phenomenal!
I agree with SO many of these awesome book recommendations. In fact, I’ve reviewed quite a few:
- Book Review – Archer’s Voice by Mia Sheridan
- No Turning Back by Tiffany Snow
- Rainfall by Melissa Delport
- Black Lies by Alessandra Torre
- Transcendence by Shay Savage
- Sempre (Forever) by JM Darhower
And maybe we can find more 5-star books below (and from your recommendations in the comments below!) 😀
- The Fault in Our Stars by John Green <— The one that makes me *pok pok* chicken to read it, is on sale! And I know many have seen the movie, but Leanne recommends the book: “…the fault in our stars by john green another ugly crier much better than the movie, but they always are.” and Katherine agrees: “Out of all those books I would definitely say read The Fault in Our Stars first! I was scared to read it and now can’t believe it took me so long to read it! Enjoy!”
- Fallen Crest High (Fallen Crest Series, Book 1) by Tijan <— Tessa HIGHLY LOVES THIS ONE!! RE-READ worthy!! She says: “I treated myself for Christmas by starting a re-read of the Fallen Crest Series for a sixth time. (I’m slightly addicted) Much hugs everyone! *hugs*” and Ann agrees! She says: “Must read after Beautiful Disaster (one of my all time favorites and I am a book addict!!!!!) ……Fallen Crest High Series. Mason – sigh….. “
- The Rebound Series: Complications, Distractions, Connections by Emilia Winters <— Aimee found us this bundled super-sale! “After the end of a six-year relationship with an emotionally abusive boyfriend, Olivia Ward wants nothing more than to forget her deceitful ex and rebuild her demolished self-confidence…” and then… a gorgeous man walks into her cupcake shop. Sounds good!
- Shame On You (Fool Me Once) by Tara Sivec <— Stephanie found out this entire series is on super-sale!
- Shame On Me (Fool Me Once) by Tara Sivec
- Shame on Him (Fool Me Once) by Tara Sivec
- Decker’s Wood by Kirsty Dallas <—- on super-sale and this title made many of us *snort*. But!! Linda loved it!! “l so just read a 5star book for me called Decker’s Wood!! Sooo outstanding!!! I had floating around on my tbr list and was ignoring it because of the cover. Do not let the cover deter you!! The reviews sucked me in and it was unputdownable!!!” (thanks for the find, Aimee!)
- Shield of Winter (Psy/Changeling Book 13) by Nalini Singh <— Not bargain priced (but close!) and MichelleS brought it to our attention asking
MichelleS: Reader Question about Psy-Changling Series: Book 13 made the “best books of 2014” list I was just looking at and has really high ratings. Do I have to read the first 12 to enjoy it? I haven’t read ANY of this series. I always skipped over it when I was in my PNR craze… can I read just this one and be satisfied???
Sally: There’s a lot of world building in the early books so you really need to start at the beginning. Read them all…they’re brilliant. Most of them easily as good as 13.
MichelleS: I was afraid you would say that! I am not sure I have it in me anymore to read a 13 book series in one shot. DANG IT
Maryse: *giggle* Michelle you can do it. I’ve heard this series is AWESOME… (here’s the series reading order AND reader recommendations of it).
- Change of Hart by M.E. Carter <— Linda recommends this recent release that already has a ton of GREAT reviews! She says: “Maryse highly recommend Change of Hart by ME Carter if you haven’t posted it!! Absolutely loved the story. Just what my mood needed!!” FOOTBALL STAR ALERT! Meets a widow and her young son and his world changes… “I have a random meeting with a little boy that just lost his father. We have more in common than you might think and it creates an unlikely bond. As our friendship grows, so do my feelings for his mother.“
- Letters Home by Rebecca Brooke <— Michelle is thrilled about this one! “Thanks you so much for your suggestion of Letters Home! I bawled my eyes out but it was a great story, plus I got it on sale” Her boyfriend enlists in the army… “when life throws her a curve ball, how will she cope? Can she pick up the pieces and make her picture beautiful again?“
- Gravity: A Novel by L.D. Cedergreen <— Aimee found us this super-bargain too! Both of them… hiding away from everyone.. “Andrew Monroe was once an essential part of Gemma’s life but tragedy and misunderstanding shattered their bond, separating them. Now twenty years later, Gemma questions the coincidence of their newly intersected paths as she struggles to resist the sparks that ignite between them. Just when Gemma feels that she has found her second chance at happiness, she is faced with a shocking truth as her reality spirals out of control.” (GREAT reviews on this!)
- Most, if not all of Jaden Wilkes’ books on super-bargain today! <— Thank you Aimee!! Looks like a possible queen of DARK READS to discover. The blurbs all give me creepy goosebumps! 🙂
- Control Me (Barossa Series Book 1) by Elle Raven <— Aimee found us this bargain book. “The only person who can help her family is the multi-billionaire tycoon Max Brunetti. Can she trust him or will she be selling her soul to the devil himself? “
- Torture to Her Soul (Monster in His Eyes Book 2) by J.M. Darhower <— super-sale alert!!! Thanks to both Kat and Stephanie for this find!! 😀
- Lost in Me (Here and Now Book 1) by Lexi Ryan <— Cheryl is reading this series! “Here and Now Series by Lexi Ryan. It is just what I was looking for when I said I wanted a love-triangle story. All 3 books are a high angst filled ride. Reminds me some of Thoughtless-one of the guys is a rock star and maybe also some of The Opportunist/Dirty Red…”
- Amour Amour by Krista Ritchie & Becca Ritchie <— Niki recommends this recent release: “Just finished Amour Amour by Krista and Becca Ritchie! It pulled me out of my Kate Daniels book funk big time!!! Loved it!!”
- The Pentagram Child: Part 1 (Afterlife Saga Book 5) by Stephanie Hudson <— Okay NOT bargain priced but this is a new release that I missed out on, Tuesday so here it is and Marit is LOVING IT!!! She says: “I’m already on the Pentagram child by Stephanie Hudson, that got released on Saturday! The fift book in the Aftelife saga. It’s ripping my heart out :-O” P.S. Here’s the series reading order.
- His End Game (MMG Series Book 1) by R.B. Hilliard <— and she’s enjoying this one, too! She says: “Started one I found on my kindle called His End Game which is actually really good; a mysterious love story is my description:)” Oh yeah this sounds goooooood!! “Ellie Davis has finally begun to mend the pieces of her shattered heart. With a new job slinging drinks behind the bar at Charlotte’s latest hot spot and a crush on her deliciously sexy bar manager things are finally starting to look up. New job plus new man equals the perfect anecdote to help Ellie forget all about bad boy Max McLellan…or so she thinks.“
- Within These Walls by J.L. Berg <— back on the list ’cause it’s still bargain priced but also because Shell recommends it! “‘ Within These Walls ‘ is an awesome read, I loved it. Wonderfully written.”
- When It Rains (Rains Standalone Book 1) by Lisa DeJong <— She also recommends these that are currently on super-sale! :‘When it Rains’ series ( all 4 books) by Lisa Dejong. Beautifully written and emotion packed stories.” And here’s my own book review of “When it Rains“.
- After the Rain by Lisa DeJong
- Changing Forever (Rains Standalone Book 2) by Lisa DeJong
- Living With Regret (Rains Series Book 3) by Lisa DeJong
- The Bridge by Rebecca Rogers Maher <— Amy recommends this one saying: “I tend to avoid short stories because of the disconnect with the characters that comes from not having enough time with them, but *this* one had me all teary with a lump in my throat and I actually cared about them. Like, REALLY cared. And I really wanted things to be okay for both of them. It was a pretty emotional story but I loved it. “
I read 176 books in 2014 (shooting for 180 by the end of the year!)
Of those, my top 3 were – Stepbrother Dearest by Penelope Ward (there was so much UST in this one and I found myself holding my breath a lot waiting to see how things played out); Maybe Someday by Colleen Hoover (beautiful story with wonderful characters); and Love, In English by Karina Halle (endearing characters with so many forces working against them.)
I would highly recommend these as additions to everyone’s TBR list, if they are not on there already.
HAPPY READING !!!!
Love looking back at my year of reading and deciding what was my top 5! I was aiming for 100 books this year…I hit that goal last yera but missed it by probably about 10-15 this year…Oh well it was a good year of reading anyways. Top 5 in no particular order:
1. The Law of Moses by Amy Harmon
2. Wife Number Seven by Melissa Brown
3. Captured by Jasinda and Jack Wilder
4. Ethan by Nicole Edwards
5. Odium I & II by Claire C Riley!
Happy reading everyone in 2015!!!
Just found Decker’s Wood buried deep, deep down my TBR list….think I’m gonna give it a try. Just finished Change of Hart last night. I liked it, didn’t LOVE it but it was a pleasant read. Not a lot of angst…the kind of book that putters along, nothing really happens to shake up the storyline. Kinda nice if you’re not looking for a roller coaster type plotline.
FYI….I just joined Kindle Unlimited & their audiobooks are free along with the book. Came in handy while wrapping presents this week.
Starting a road trip to FL w/ Monster in his eyes (;
Merry Christmas from bonnie Scotland everyone no snow here yet though 🙁
MichelleS I would really recommend the psy/changeling series I’ve read them all and loved them all they are great and unique love the psy net idea it would be cool and I’m a hawk fan!!! And maybe a dorion fan too lol
I’m still on the Rachel Morgan series reallllly liking it and my kindle vouchers for Xmas will be used first I think on Stephanie Hudsons new one if u haven’t read the afterlife saga ur missing out its got a mix of everything and they have huge angst!!! I’m surprised u haven’t read these maryse!!
One of my favorite s this year was A Murder of Crows by Anne Bishop. It is the second in her The Others series. Written in Red, the first book, was on the top of my list last year. Would totally rec. *cough* Maryse *cough*
“Just found Decker’s Wood buried deep, deep…” BAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!!
I would have to go back and look at what I read this year to get my top 5 or 10 (need to make sure they were read this year and not in 2013 ;)), but for sure Ugly Love would be on that list. Probably in the top three for me if not #1. Oh. My. Heart. I wish I could read it again for the first time.
But from the ones mentioned above, I second Rainfall (that one *oomphed* me – in other words, it kicked me in the gut and heart), Transcendence (yep, I fell in love with that caveman…”In her mouth! I can’t put a baby in there!” LOL!!!), Black Lies (*that* was a crazy one) and, of course, the Fallen Crest series. Wasn’t that series great, Maryse? Ohhhhh, that’s right…you still haven’t read it. *Hmph* Never mind then. 😛
Oh! I have a new lipstick obsession…YSL Volupte Sheer Candy!! I picked up Griotte Mocha and Sweet Fig while in Vegas, and I am in love. They are sheer and perfect alone or over a nude like MAC Fresh Brew, and they have a sweet flavor to them. So yummy! 😀
I checked my amazon purchases, and since January 1st, I count twenty that I would put on my favorites list. Since that’s too many to list, I’ll try to only put the ones that haven’t been mentioned yet…
Holy Trinity Series, The King Trilogy, The Saint and The King (Original Sinners), The Wild Side, The Covenant Series, Deeper and Harder, The Roam series, Bad Things, Take. Books i finally read in 2014 that were great: Rosie project, Gone Girl, Me Before You, Mud Vein, Written in Red. Others have already been mentioned, so won’t say them again…. oops… ended up with a big ole’ list anyway!!
I’ve read 132 books in 2014. A few of my favorites have been Written in My Own Heart”s Blood, Transcendence, Archer’s Voice, Dust to Dust (the end of the EIT series), Brutally Beautiful and Cold-Blooded Beautiful, The Will, After I Do, Raw, and Love, In English.
Not sure if it has been mentioned here yet (I’ve been a little out of the loop lately!), but there is an update for the Kindle app in which you can tap and hold a book cover in the library and a page will pop up with the blurb and other info that you would find on the Amazon page. Yay us!!
I know I’m late to the party on this, but I’ve just blown through Beautiful Bastard and the rest in the series. Why oh why did I wait this long???? What an addicting series. I think Beautiful Player was my favorite so far (more coming out this year). I highlighted so many fun and funny passages in that book.
Thank goodness for that update! I’m constantly going back to the store wondering, what’s this about again?
Favorites are: Fallen Fourth Down (of course, right?)
Bright Side by Kim Holden *sob*
Indebted series by Pepper Winters
Escaping Destiny by Amelia Hutchins
Endless Knight by Kresley Cole
I’m sure I’m missing something, but that seems to be a good idea of what I loved this year.
Oh, and what I got for Christmas? A pretty necklace *grins*, with pretty charms *grins*, nail polish and a lot of lotion. It seemed to be a theme to get lotion this year. I almost never have dry skin. It’s puzzling, but three people got me lotion.
According to my goodreads email i have read 346 books this year….I would need to look back and see which were my favourites. Mind you anything by Tijan would be up there at the top. I have quite a few of those up there already on my TBR – just moved stepbrother dearest and rainfall up the list
Ok my 2014 favs for ugly cris include The awesome Colleen Hoover -Loved “Maybe Someday” and “Ugly Love” but I have to day “Maybe Someday” just grabbed me and hrld on. My other two favs that definitely wrenched by heart- “Therapy” by Kathryn Perez and “Brightside” by Kim Holden. For a little paranormal I loved “Wicked” by Jennifer Armentrout (well I really love all her work!) I just finished “Inspire” by Cora Carmack and sooo wish the next one was out already! Other awesome authors I discovered this year include Leighton Riley (Sinfully is hot,) Caisey Quinn, B.N.Toler, Kelly Stevenson (loved her debut “The Force of Gravity”-student/teacher with a twist,) and Sarah Dosher (loved Shutter series – whole set out now!) For YA I absolutely adore Jillian Dodd and of course cried my eyes out at The Fault In Our Stars. 2014 was an awesome year of books can not wait for 2015!!
I can’t wait to read Fallen Fourth Down, Tessa…but I’m waiting for the next one to come out before I do ’cause I was a little nervous with the way Fallen Crest Public ended. 😕
Holy crap, Paula!!! Here ya go… *hands martini and reading tiara to Paula* 😉
Fallen Fourth Down had some major angst, so I totally get it. I loved it, but the end of three gave everyone a big stomach twist. I’d still say read it. The CH at the end had me thinking, yep, that’s the Kade boys. It had me thinking, they really did that? Then, yeah, of course they did.
346 books? Wow, that’s amazing! You win. 🙂
Thanks Amy! Nothing to do but read when you spend 3 hours a day commuting!!
Fallen Fourth Down was great and I think you are safe to read it without the last one being out yet. Have you read her Jaded series? Last one is out on 31 December
Sweet home, sweet Rome and sweet Fall by Tillie Cole is on sale price. I enjoyed all these books if you were waiting to get them on bargain price now is the chance to get them.
Hi everyone *waves*. My reading slowed way down over the holidays. I don’t remember ever being this busy. Oh well, books are one thing that keep till later right? Most of my favs have already been mentioned above. I’m so looking forward to the 2015 reads. Although, I have to admit, one of my New Year’s resolutions is to make a big ol’ dent in my tbr list.
Hmm going to have to not be so lazy and pick out my favorite reads. I love reading everyone’s choices. But I still have four more days to stumble upon a new one lol.
Fabi I too have been thinking of bookish resolutions. Have a few. Guess it makes sense as reading is prominent in my life.
I want to make a dent in my tbr, too. This one is big.
Maybe start a wish list to keep from one clicking and know when sales are?
Try my library’s ebook lending.
And what I’m most excited about is a reading challenge that is designed to diversify your reading.
I’m with ya Bev about still finding great books this year! When Maryse posts her list I will comment with my favorites too. I still want others to make a list like i mentioned a while back. Like their top 10 reads of the year since I love to find books this way.
Fabi, I’m going to start the Tairen Soul series soon. Probably Monday if you wanted to join but you sound busy. I’m off until the new year so want to finish a few more books before the year is up.
Bev those are great ideas for the new year. We have a local reading club that focuses on expanding your reading horizons. Once a month members get to vote on a new one.
Michelle, I already read the first book in the series. I might be ready for the second one when you are. But I’ll have to check my library for it.
Ok Fabi if you can get a copy join in. I will probably be into book 2 Wednesday or so. MichelleS said she might read them again too.
Bev, where’s the reading challenge to diversify your reading from? That sounds like something I need to do since whenever I branch out it seems I always love the book and find it refreshing.
Re reading War for the Oaks and yes still am loving it. Anyone who enjoys UF should give it a shot, it has been credited with helping to start that sub genre. Plus it’s the 80s and the heroine is in a garage band. And the Phouka!
“Nobody’s cute than Prince.” Lol.
Michelle I’ll see if can post a link. It sounds like you ladies will have fun with your series glom. Just don’t forget Burned releases soon!
Michelle, I’m excited by it and with only 24 altogether very doable for me.
Like Amy I need to look at my kindle list to think about my top 5 reads. My most recent was The Here and Now series’s. Also, just read Hollywood and Vine which surprised me with the level of angst. Now I need a comedy, so I can give my stomach a break!
Thanks Amy for the kindle app update- that will be great!!
OMG, I totally missed Marked by Rebecca Zanetti coming out. I have to finish the rest of the series, since this is Janie’s story! *squee*
Thanks so much for this post! Somehow I’d missed the buzz about Nocte and I read it the other day and loved it, so big thanks to Pam for mentioning that!
Some of my favorite reads of 2014 were (in no particular order):
Last Hit by Jessica Clare
Amour Amour by Krista and Becca Ritchie
Painted Faces by L.H. Cosway
The Bronze Horseman Series by Paulina Simons
Flat-Out Celeste by Jessica Park
Fall from India Place by Samantha Young
I’ll Give you the Sun by Jandy Nelson
Sweet Filthy Boy by Christina Lauren
Love in English by Karina Halle
Mud Vein by Tarryn Fisher
Black Box by Cassia Leo
Play by Kylie Scott
Just to name a few, haha.
Bev that reading challenge looks interesting…I’m thinking about it and like you said it’s very doable.
I really thought about it past what I’ve said in another post. These are the books that stuck with me, and even now makes me grin with delight or get beyond sad at what I’d read.
Fallen Fourth Down by Tijan
Bright Side by Kim Holden – On this one, I still get sad when I think of it. Also, I never realized until this book how much I say “dude”.
Kane Chronicles by Stylo Fantôme – This kept me on my toes all the way until the end. I seriously loved it, and I could not put it down.
Indebted series by Pepper Winters – Dark and just weird, which I like.
Escaping Destiny by Amelia Hutchins
Endless Knight by Kresley Cole – Probably the oddest one in here, but I fell in love with Death. He’s top five BBF
The Dark Elements Series by Jennifer Armentrout
Lovely Trigger by RK Lilley
Holy Trinity Series By Madeleine Sheehan
Beware by Shanora Williams (Anyone who read this, she is releasing a book two in 2015, yeah!)
Magic Breaks by Ilona Andrews
Reignite and Extinguish by J.M. Darhower
Cassie Palmer series by Karen Chance
Elite by Rachel Van Dyken – Read it three times already this year. *grins*
Penryn & the End of Days series by Susan Ee