*phew* I’m feeling like this list is a little controversial.
Oh there are lots of tried and true romance book recommendations (like the sweet/angsty one to the left *Rush♥Crush*), but… there are a few that are sounding my “very dark read” warning-bells. And tempting me badly. One even comes with an actual warning! Eeeeeep! But quite a few in that dark-genre have proven to be favorites, so you know me… I’m antsy to find another like those unforgettable ones. I shall be “taste-testing” (hopefully soon) for those that are nervous. The reviews look good mind you, but likely not for everyone.
Speaking of dark-reads… there’s this one that hasn’t even been released yet (and no pre-order links) that is calling my name. LOUDLY! I received a review copy and it’s making me shake, I want to read it so badly. Luckily, it will be coming out next week (maybe I’ll have it done before, or maybe I’ll read it with you guys?). He’s a hero (that’s the name of the book). Known as a protector (not sure in what form, yet)… and a stalker/kidnapper. “…what started out as duty has become obsession.” GAH!!!!!!! Oh if that book proves to be as good as that synopsis, I will be in dark-book heaven! As soon as it goes live on Amazon, I’ll let y’all know.
Okay so… time to point out a few of those that have me excited to taste-test/one-click today: Her Master’s Courtesan (<—this sounds so dark and is the one that gave me the biggest synopsis jolt, other than “Hero” above). Yes, Master (this is the one that comes with a warning, and is definitely seems to be in the dark erotica category” too), Marine for Hire (Marines are true protectors and I *heart* them and this one sounds SO funny and NOT dark and will likely be a much needed relief), Undefeated (an undefeated fighter that rescues an abused woman – ahhhh another true protector). Wow you know… it’s kind of crazy how I’m on such opposite ends of the reading spectrum. I seem to thrive on the dark-scary “love stories” as much as I do the true hero/protectors. After indulging in a “dark-blurb” frenzy today (and feeling a bit of that ache in my chest from my over-excitement over ’em), I’m, at this very moment, craving the sweeter “protector” stories to ease my pain…and I haven’t even read the dark ones yet. Wow… the blurbs alone did that to me.
Oh!! And then there’s THIS funny, light-hearted one —> Can You Keep a Secret? by Sophie Kinsella. The recommendations make me want to start it now, or at least after those ↑↑↑ up there. It’s not bargain priced mind you, but I feel like I NEED to read this. Physically need this hilarious-sounding “happiness-inducer”. Everyone that has read it seems to LOVE it like crazy.
But I’ve also got this one (The Fae Chronicles Series) HIGH on my “next in line” TBR list. “Barrons-like alphas” (as “he” was described to me) always win out, so I’m thinking I’m still on track with this series being next.
Or do I want to read a funny “favorite book ever”? Or do I want to read a dark one? *sigh* Yet again, I’m being a book-glutton. Ah well, no matter… too many book choices = YAY ME!!! LOL!!!
P.S. Finishing “Unravel” by Calia Reed as we speak…
NOTE: bargain priced when I added them, but prices can change on Amazon, so make sure to check before you finalize your order.
P.P.S. Let me know if I’m missing any or if you loved any (from this list or elsewhere).
Todays latest reader recommendations and bargain ebook finds:
- The Pairing (The Proposition/Proposal) by Katie Ashley <— JUST RELEASED!!! (Here’s the Proposition Series Reading Order)
- Neanderthal Seeks Human (Knitting in the City) by Penny Reid <— this one was highly and often recommended (especially on yesterday’s “Romance Comedy List” and lo and behold, it’s on super sale! Jami found it, and Kandace says: “Everyone needs to read this one. I thought it was hilarious. It was one of my favorite books that made me giggle reads of 2013. Plus he’s real alpha-ish!” And I have been in a “funny/sweet romance book” mood lately. Just as much as an adrenaline rush when I’m laughing. 😀 Plus it’s got an alpha male so I’m in!!
- Worth the Chance by Vi Keeland <— Lauren highly recommends this recent release: “Worth the Chance by Vi Keeland was FANTASTIC!!! The back-story between the two main characters makes them so easy to relate to, and there are just the right amount of conflicts that arise and then get resolved that had me turning the pages to find out what happened next.” and Andrea adamantly recommends it, too:
“Everyone needs to put down what they are reading NOW…and meet Vince Stone!!! Worth the Chance is SOOOOO worth the read!! Vi Keeland has literally hit this one out of the ballpark! Liv and Vince are electric and Vi does such a great job at tying in their past to their present. It was sweet but edgy…Vince was hot and alpha. Yet there was a softer side to Vince also. I love Vince and Liv’s tie to one another and their chemistry just pulled me in from the very start. If you are looking for steam between the characters…OH YA…it’s in there. Conflict is there too. The only spoiler I will tell is….uou may want to have a couple tissues on hand …I did shed several tears…some happy tears and some hurting tears.”
- BOMB: A Day in the Life of Spencer Shrike: Rook and Ronin Spinoff by JA Huss <— JUST RELEASED!! (Thanks Jami!!) Here is the Rook and Ronin Series Reading Order
- Seven Years of Bad Luck by J.L. Mac <— JUST RELEASED!! (thanks Kat!)
- Moore than Forever (Needing Moore Series #3) by Julie Richman <— JUST RELEASED!!!
- Defining Destiny: New Adult Romance by Deanna Chase <— JUST RELEASED. She’s a singer, and he’s a scarred (I think? Definitely “inside” at least) tattoo artist…
- Eye of the Storm (The Storm Series #2) by M. Stratton <— JUST RELEASED. From the synopsis of the first book (After the Storm (The Storm Series) it appears to be about a woman hiding out, living next door to the rock star that was also sort of hiding out, and she has a stalker… I don’t want to read the synopsis of book #2 just in case it’ll spoil it for me…
- Her Master’s Courtesan (The Masters Series) by Lily White <— JUST RELEASED! Whoa. It sounds dark!! You know the kind… Ohhhh my. Yep. That cover says plenty (definitely a D/s read) but that synopsis scared me good! *shivers* I shall “taste-test” it. Here’s a portion of it…
- Yes, Master by Margaret McHeyzer <— RECENTLY RELEASED and looks right up my dark-alley!! (It would appear there’s all sorts of er… *blush* combinations/pairings going on here). BUT!! When the author found out I was adding it to today’s list, she sent me a warning: “pls pls pls let your readers know that it comes with a warning. At the top of the blurb and inside the book.” I agree. The first few lines in the synopsis could have “trigger” potential (dealing with the subject of abuse). Lea found it for us saying:
Lea: This is on sale and reading the reviews, I am a little scared of it. Looks super dark and maybe a little too sexy for me, but I wanna anyway! Anyone read it?
Aimee: There several folks on this blog that would like this one…it appears dark but high ratings and reviews indicate HOT!!
Heather: I have read it and amazing job by Margaret!! I loved it..very hot!
Maryse’s Book Blog: I’m totally one-clicking it!! *eeeeeeeep!!!* 😛
- Blood Torn (Blackthorn Book 3) by Lindsay J. Pryor <— Laura’s excited about this one! “Lindsay j Pryor’s 3rd book in the blackthorn series is out today called blood torn!!!” (here is the Blackthorn Series Reading Order)
- Kade (NSC Industries) by D.H. Sidebottom <— Jami found us this one! “Spinoff book from from D H Sidebottom Heart of Stone series. P.S. All D H Sidebottom books are on sale!”
- Possessed by You (Torn) by Jo-Anna Walker <— Jamie found us this one, too saying: “Great reviews!”
- Immune: A Rylee Adamson Novel (Book 2) by Shannon Mayer <— Aimee found out that almost all of the books in this series are on sale right now! “Excluding the 1st book in the series … all the other books in the series for the Rylee Adamson series. Looked interesting!” and Jillian adds: “Due to next next book’s imminent release, Shannon Mayer is having a sale on her books!! 2-5 today and tomorrow book 1 too!” Here is the Rylee Adamson Series Reading Order
- Eternally North by Tillie Cole <— back on sale (thanks Aimee!) and was a recommendation in yesterday’s “funny books” list.
- STRIPPED (The Ferro Family) by H.M. Ward <— Kat found us this. And this is a very popular series amongst our fellow readers. I need to get on these… especially book #1 considering it’s a student/teacher romance! *eeeeeeep* 😛 (here’s the The Ferro Family Series Reading)
- Marine for Hire (A Front and Center Novel) (Entangled Brazen) by Tawna Fenske <— MARINE ALERT!! Bobbi recommends this recent release! “So Maryse’s latest list got me to thinking about funny books I have recently read … has anyone else read Marine For Hire by Tawna Fenske? The diaper changing scene is by far the funniest thing I have read in a while …” <— oh yes… this one tempts me just tooooo much!
- True Love Story by Willow Aster <—- ANGSTY ROMANCE/ROCK STAR ALERT!! Look what bargain priced book Aimee found!! She says: 2013 Maryse’s Recommended books as Best ‘gave me the emotional shakes’ of my year…” <— this is true!! 😀 And many in our group loved it, too:
Angela: Amazing book!
Sadie: One of my favorites last year!
Mary Ann: Same here
Lori: Loved this one!!
- Never Too Far: A Rosemary Beach Novel (The Rosemary Beach Series) by Abbi Glines <— Rush gave me a rush!! And Aimee found out it’s on sal right now and Bobbi recommends it: “Soooo good! One of my faves!”
- Fighting Temptation (Men Of Honor) by K.C. LYNN <— Tasha just read it and recommends it!: “So I finished this book recently, and I really enjoyed it. I loved Jaxson character, it’s one of those books were the couple are best friends, but this one is kinda different. I definitely give it four stars. “
- Enslaved By The Ocean (Criminals Of The Ocean #1) by Bella Jewel <— MODERN DAY PIRATES ALERT! Shauna recommends it: “Enslaved by the Ocean, Bella Jewel…awesome book!” This one sounds great! Two friends hire a yacht, it burns up and they’re stranded on the ocean… and then “captured”. Or is it rescued? I guess I’ll have to read it to find out. I am one-clicking this one! (Thanks Aimee!)
- Fix You by Carrie Elks <– back on the list ’cause Janet recommends it: “Read Fix You. Covered a lot of years and didn’t feel rushed. Great stand alone”
- Full Measures (Entangled Embrace) by Rebecca Yarros <— RECENTLY RELEASED and Lindsay highly recommends it: “FULL MEASURES was exceptional. The lifestyle/situations that only us military have experienced was spot on with this book. Everything you want to read is in this book, romance, angst, real life grief situations. Her writing style makes you FEEL right along with the characters.”
- Broken Pieces by Riley Hart <— M/M ALERT!! Victoria highly recommends and considering how much I loved this author’s other M/M book (Collide), I’m putting this high on my TBR list. She says: “I have to recommend Broken Pieces by Riley Hart. The best book I have read in months and one of my favorite books EVER! I’m pretty new to the M/M romance genre and I can’t believe how the author pulled off this menage. Totally amazing, this is definitely a MUST READ!“
- To Love A Shifter: A Paranormal Romance Boxed Set (6 Book Bundle) by Marian Tee <— back on the list, for this bundle and Sharon LOVED it: “If you have not read Marian Tee’s To Love A Shifter a 6 book bundle set,you are missing out. I have already read it twice and I have over 2000 books on my kindle that I have not even read yet and about 50 for tbr read in the next month,but I loved this book, I could not help rereading the stories again,I read the whole book and then read a story in between the next 6 books I read lol I gave it a 5 star rating”
- Never Been Ready (The Ready Series #2) by J.L. Berg Lots of great reviews… “Declan James had just one rule when it came to women. Keep it simple, and never linger. That all changed the moment he met Leah. Even across a crowded bar, he could tell she was different. Sweet, with just the right amount of sass, she made him break his golden rule and now he couldn’t walk away.“
- So Much It Hurts by Melanie Dawn <— on sale right now! Oooh this sounds risqué! “Kaitlyn Thomas, a weary wife and mother, is taking a much needed getaway with her friends. All she wants to do is relax and rejuvenate on her weekend escape to the beach. Having a drink at the bar with the girls sounds like the perfect way to unwind. That is, until Kaitlyn hears a familiar voice from the stage that shakes her to her core. She grapples with her memory until Chris King, the lead singer of the band, walks up to her and eliminates the questions in her mind.“
- Undefeated (Fighter Romance Series) by Scott Hildreth <—FIGHTER ALERT!! Susan recommends this one! “I wanted to take the time to recommend this amazing book. Undefeated by Scott Hildreth is the story of Shane Dekkar an undefeated boxer with a heart of gold. He meets Kace, who is in an abusive relationship. He helps her realize she is valuable and she escapes from the abuse. Please check it out, you won’t be disappointed. “
- Take a Chance: A Rosemary Beach Novel (The Rosemary Beach Series) by Abbi Glines <— releasing this Tuesday Feb 25th 2014
- Hard As You Can: A Hard Ink Novel by Laura Kaye <— releasing this Tuesday Feb 25th 2014
- Love Game: The Matchmaker Series by Elise Sax <— releasing this Tuesday Feb 25th 2014
- Shame On You (Fool Me Once) by Tara Sivec <— releasing this Tuesday Feb 25th 2014
- Whisper of Sin: A Psy Changeling Novella <— releasing this Tuesday Feb 25th 2014
- Down on Her Knees (A Dare Me Novel) (Entangled Brazen) by Christine Bell <— releasing this Monday Feb 24th 2014
- His Secrets (Inside Out Series) by Lisa Renee Jones <— releasing this Monday Feb 24th 2014
- When I Break by Kendall Ryan <— releasing this Monday Feb 24th 2014
- Plus two coming in a couple of months…
- Sinners at the Altar (Sinners on Tour) by Olivia Cunning – expected release date March 11th 2014 and Jami says: “Coming soon!Get it now at the introductory price.*Caution* Do not read the synopsis if you have not finished the series.”
- Against the Cage: Worth the Fight Series by Sidney Halston <— MMA FIGHTER ALERT!! expected release date May 27th 2014 and Rachel LOVED it!! “I just finished this one. It is out for pre-order. I am totally into MMA right now and I LOVED it. My favorite MMA book so far. It’s so so funny. The reviews in Goodreads compare it to Beautiful Disaster. I don’t necessarily agree with the comparison. I consider it a palette cleansing book. you don’t leave with a book hangover. But you leave totally in love with the characters, the town, and the dog. OH…and it is UBER sexy! (*blush*).” (oh you can bet I’ll be reading this!!!!!! :D!!!!)
I’m sure you’ve had this on a previous list but I must say FULL MEASURES was exceptional. The lifestyle/situations that only us military have experienced was spot on with this book. Everything you want to read is in this book, romance, angst, real life grief situations. Her writing style makes you FEEL right along with the characters. Only .99
Hey just wanted to let you know Karina Halle’s Donners of the Dead releases Feb 24th. Zombie romance looks really good! 😉
I love Karina!!!
Thank you Lindsay! It sounds awesome and I just added it to the list. 😀 *hug*
Huge Sophie Kinsella fan! I’ve got your number is one of my very favorites from her! All her books are lol funny!
Broken Pieces by Riley Hart is sooo good too! It doesn’t end with a cliffhanger but there is a part 2 (continuation) in the works.
Ooooooh, I’m finishing up Unravel right now as well. I love Calia Read’s books. Mmmmm, Thayer Sloan…
I really enjoyed Undefeated. It’s not just another fighter novel. It’s a great story about overcoming an abusive relationship, finding love, friendship and boxing. You will remember Shane Dekkar and Kace Meadows!
Been wanting to read the pirate book, Enslaved By the Ocean, ever since I read a sample in the back of another book I’d read. So happy it’s $.99 now.
Gio by Elizabeth Reyes is free today.
I read True Love Story a while back and liked it a whole lot! Angsty goodness and a female character I thought was really smart and refreshing.
Broken Pieces was SO good. OMG. Highly recommend.
Who wrote Hero? I want to get it on my TBR list so I can watch for it! 🙂 Have a great weekend!
I just finished Unravel and my head is spinning! Wow what just happened? I was left guessing through the whole book! Feel like I need to reread it NOW or at least skim back through it! And I think I will be needing one of those funny reads that you’ve recommended…wow, just wow!
Hi Maryse, I live in Brazil and I love your blog.
I finished Fix You and the book is amazing. Best prologues I’ve ever read! After reading it you won’t stop until gets to the point where the prologue begun. You will be curious to know how the life of Hanna and Richard came to the that: a son and so much hate! We follow almost 13 years of their lives. A real journey of love!
I loved the historical references. The description of all related to Sept 11th touched my heart.
I can’t find donners of the dead to preorder
Rush is absolutely one of my favs! I have e Rush shirt!!
You definitely would want to read Can You Keep A Secret. It’s a must! One of my favorite book ever. Would crack you up like crazy!
I read Can You Keep A Secret awhile back, loved it!
OMG! So happy to see Against the Cage on this list. Maryse you’re going to love it. It is sooo hot yet really funny. It was up on netgalley. A cross between jill shalvis’ Lucky Harbor and JM’s beautiful disaster. I havent laughed so much in a book since Wallbanger.
Marine For Hire was a fun and quick read. It was sweet and funny but still yummy sexy. It was a good in-between book when I needed something a little lighter.
Her Master’s Courtesan is the darkest book I’ve read to date, and Aiden has replaced Caleb as my top anti-hero! It’s definitely going to mess with your brain…
As for HERO, I’m really interested in seeing what you think! It’s pretty erotic lol 😉
Oh I didn’t think Hero was dark at all; it’s more erotica and suspense than anything 🙂
London Miller’s new book is out!! It’s the sequel to In the Beginning about the Russian Mafia..
I had a question…?
I read the three books from The Fae Chronicls you recommend the other day since the first was on sale for 99. (and I got hooked after that one).
Anyway, you kept referring that were like “Barron’s alpha and Barron’s Mac.”
What book were they being refereed too?
I loved the Fae Chroncils and wanted something similar to that read.
First time posting….just read an Amazing Book!
Therapy! by Kathryn Perez
Hot diggity dog!!! The Fae Chronicles has moved up in your TBR list. WOWZA. Can’t believe you haven’t shared that experience yet. He’s so, so, so slap worthy. Loved it!!!
Joanne, Mac and Barron are the main characters in Karen Marie Moning’s Fever series. It’s an amazing series, I loved every bit of it. There are 5 books, and a spin off series that are on my very long TBR list.
Just finished reading Yes, Master. Whoa, what a story! The warning is warranted but I really liked the story it seems like it was opposite of most books as tells the story from Ryan’s perspective and how he’s felt with tragic past.
OMG OMG OMG I just read Her Master Courtesan by Lily White and absolutely loved it <3 . I'm going to be in a book induced coma tomorrow but it was so worth it. I loved Caleb from captive in the dark but Aidan has him beat ( I never thought I'd see the day when Caleb would be replaced but it has happened and I can hear the choir singing) !!! Maryse if you haven't read it I believe I should intervene on what your currently reading l ( unless you reading about Travis I could never ask you to put Travis down lol) but seriously it was amazing !!!!!
I have to say I read “After the Storm” and just finished “Eye of the Storm” by M. Stratton and loved them. I can not wait for the next one!!!
I LOVED Against the Cage. This was my review on Goodreads. I really think y’all should pick this one up.
A copy was provided by NetGalley in exchange for an honest review.
I absolutely devoured this book. It was so friggin’ good. I laughed out loud…literally. Jack was my kind of guy– huge heart but super alpha. I wonder if there is going to be a book on Slade? I’d love to read that. I highly recommend this one. If you’re into MMA but not too into NA or YA, then this is YOUR book. It’s super steamy and super cute. And SOOOOO funny. Reminds me of Jill Shalvis.
Thank you so much for posting my sale on So Much It Hurts!!! 🙂
Thank you for posting the preorder for Against the Cage, Maryse. And thanks to those that have read it and are so excited about it. *blushing*