NOTE: LATEST UPDATE on this list —> September 5th 2015! (see them below, in the reader recommendations section – 37 new suggestions!) 🙂 This is a work in progress. I will personally “taste-test” each book (hehe) that makes this list before I add it to the main part. These are my favorite lists to make, but this one’s been hard on me!! There have been many recommendations and suggestions (keep ’em coming!) but not all have given me that “Fifty” feel, ya know? I mean… come on… What the heck can live up to Fifty?? It’s been said many times, that Fifty’s ruined us for all others.
Fellow reader “Taina” said it perfectly:
“I’ve been reading about the mysterious Mr. Gray on your page and my curiosity has gotten the best of me. I will now think of books as “Before 50” and “After 50″… It’s also a good idea to place a warning label on the books…maybe a silver tie shaped “WARNING: This book may seriously impair your ability to enjoy any further reading” label.”
It’s kind of true. While I’ve found *alphas* again after Fifty, the one’s that have given me back Christian’s intensity and emotion (and occasional lack thereof) are few and far between.
But so many have asked for a list…
Lucy: “Thanks to your blog I have discovered and fallen madly, deeply in love with the Fifty Shades Trilogy. Now however I am having withdrawal symptoms and after reading them all again…considering reading them all a third time, I decided I need a new obsession. BUT…I cannot find anything! And that is why I am emailing you in my hour of need, what do you recommend I read to recover from Christian Grey?”
Broco: “Do you have a what to read after Fifty Shades? Please say yes. :)”
Leanne: “I just finished up the Fifty shades trilogy (LOVE LOVE LOVE) and was looking through your lists for what to read next.”
Yep. We really need it! I have a need to collect as many “Fifty-type” reads as I can. But how to organize them? My favorites? Similar genres? What comes closest? And we all know once we’ve read something so enthralling, so exciting and so captivating, all we want is to continue that reading-buzz. And while “re-reading” the books can sure help, how awesome would it be to have a long, “almost-as-good” if not “just-as-good” list to choose from, instead? I’ve seen a few other “Fifty” lists out there, but I find that they highlight primarily the BDSM or erotica genre, and perhaps to some readers, this is what the focus was to them.
I didn’t read the books that way. Sure, there was plenty of that, but there was so much more and it was the “more“ that hooked me, and so many fellow readers. And that’s the list I’m trying to generate now.
But you know what? I’m not officially *there* yet. I’ve read a bunch that I’ve found, and some that have been recommended, that are similar in feel, or in theme, or have that certain “alternative lifestyle” element to it. But none (except for one, in my opinion) have been perfect for this list. But for now, they will make it on. This will be a serious work in progress. I will be adding to on a regular basis each time I find *something* (anything) that feels Fiftyish.
So instead of just sitting on the project, and thinking about it, I’ve decided to get it started! I’m throwing out some positive “Fifty” vibes and hoping to get some great responses to make the perfect “Fifty-esque” list. And for those of you who haven’t read the Fifty Shades Trilogy and are curious… here is the reading order guide and my reviews of each book.
- Book Review – Fifty Shades of Grey by E. L. James
- Book Review – Fifty Shades Darker by E. L. James
- Book Review – Fifty Shades Freed by E.L. James
The Perfect “What to Read After Fifty” Book!!
Bared to You: A Crossfire Novel by Sylvia Day
First I’m going to absolutely highlight THE book that has come closest, for me, in feel, in theme and in intensity as Fifty Shades of Grey and that would be Sylvia Day’s Bared to You. ABSOLUTELY one of my favorite books, and exactly what I was looking for as the perfect book suggestion for “What to Read After Fifty.”
An emotionally unavailable hunky billionaire (with a torrid past) that is absolutely taken with a beautiful woman. And both of their worlds are turned upside-down while they struggle with the the changes each must make to “fit” into this intense love affair. Oh. And it’s steamy as all get-out! Check out my book review: Book Review – Bared to You by Sylvia Day
BTW: THIS is the old cover ———>
Similar Themed Books (Rich unemotional millionaire attempts to control relationship, and his emotional connection, through a contract)
Unsticky by Sarra Manning
Only available (at least in the US) in used/print version, and I believe they are shipped directly from England. But I absolutely had to read it (after so many “he’s like Fifty” nudges, so I ordered. Overall, a good read and certainly reminiscent of Fifty, at least in terms of the control issues, and the occasional absurd bossy reactions and unemotional (and emotional) responses. The hero in this one… mostly infuriating!! I enjoyed this book because of the “contract” with a younger, more influence-able beauty that captivates him, and certainly could benefit from his financial proposal. Time limited relationship (for public appearances) and personal interactions too, but… without the attachment. But you know how that goes…. This one showed a whole lot more resistance then a few other similar books, and despite at times, dragging a little, overall, glad to have read and experienced the issues. Check out my review here: Book Review – Unsticky by Sarra Manning
The Marriage Bargain book #1 – by Jennifer Probst (This is now a series! —> Marriage To A Billionaire Series Reading Order)
A very sweet (and occasionally steamy) read. Not the perfect Fifty feel, but the situation was similar. Rich bachelor not looking for love needs to get married for his inheritance, and he decides to enter into a contract with his sister’s best friend. They have a history, and pretty much can’t stand each other, although the attraction is undeniable. And what he can provide for her financially, she can provide for him emotionally… IF they let each other. Check out my review here: Book Review – The Marriage Bargain by Jennifer Probst
Gabriel’s Inferno (Gabriel’s Inferno Series) by Sylvain Reynard
I hesitate just a touch, with this one only because I was somewhat disappointed with the last part of the book. But overall… I have to admit, I was able to recognize a bit (or even a lot) of “Christian” in “Gabriel”. This one may not have a contract involved, but certainly has similarities. A distinguished, handsome, and super-rich bossy professor that finds himself attracted to a younger, much more vulnerable student. His position of power, University regulations, and even their “past” haunt them and provide the tension and angst that I so often crave in these kinds of books. Despite this book proving a bit controversial in the “love it/don’t love it” category (with my fellow readers), there is no denying that it has the right “feel” for many of those looking for more “Fifty-like” reads. (my Book Review – Gabriel’s Inferno by Sylvain Renard).
Also check out book #2 in the series (just released): Gabriel’s Rapture (plus a 3rd book to come!)
If I Were You by Lisa Renee Jones (book #1 of The Inside Out Trilogy)
Not “contract-specific”… although, sort of 😉 but definitely has that “Bared to You/Fifty Shades” feel. Talented young woman that captures the eye of not one, but TWO wealthy men (both, seemingly emotionally distant) and both with HUGE control issues. Namely, her. She works for one, in a prestigious museum (therein lies the “contract”) and associates with one of the artists. Plus there’s a huge mystery to solve (along with trying to solve the mystery of these men). Good stuff, two more to come! Others have suggested it as a book to put on this list, and I agree! Check out my Book Review
Galit: “… If I Were You by Lisa Renee Jones. It is a trilogy and but only the first book has been released. No contract thus far but definitely reminded me of 50.”
Heather: “I highly recommend adding “If I Were You” the first book in the inside out trilogy by Lisa Renee Jones…seriously best thing I have read since fifty!! Cannot wait for the next book to come out!!! Love your blog thanks for all the great recommendations!”
Taken (Give and Take) by Kelli Maine
Interested in a wealthy unattainable millionaire/billionaire with an uncontrollable “obsession” for that one “sweet/normal” girl, are you? Well here you go! This one had me from the start, because the circumstances were dire. At first, scary, and over-the-top. This wealthy, and gorgeous man would not take no for an answer. Offering the job opportunity of a lifetime to the perfect candidate for his company, and even more… for his heart. And when she had to turn him down for personal reasons (even though it was HER dream, too), he took matters into his own hands. How? Simple. Take a look at that title. *nods* Yep! It’s got a bit of an “eeeeep” factor, that’s for sure! No contract needed for this one, because I’m sort of getting that… he’s not going to take no for an answer.
And despite my trepidation. Despite my being appalled by his actions at first, when the story got going, I struggled with the fact that I simply couldn’t resist him. The author presents a different writing style, for sure (the heroine’s voice, the way she narrates the story, is not one we see often via this perspective), but I was absolutely “Taken”. Check out my Book Review here (and there is a fantastic little novella right after! “No Take Backs: A Taken Novella). And then… yep! More coming in this series. Give and Take Series Reading Order —> I’m excited!
On Dublin Street by Samantha Young
No contract involved, but a heart that won’t let anyone in. And this time, it’s not the billionaire. It’s the heroine! A sweet and funny read but with intense moments of deep emotion, and a gorgeous alpha billionaire that won’t take no for an answer. Check out my Book Review.
Brooke suggested it for this list, too!: “I just finished On Dublin Street by Samantha Young and it was fabulous. No BDSM but still a great read. I am disappointed that there’s not another book to follow it as of yet. I have also read Bared to You and Beautiful Disaster and this book was right up there!”
Naked (The Blackstone Affair, Part 1) by Raine Miller. Recommended for this list by Barbara:”I just finished Naked by Raine Miller, it’s one of a continuing story line but it is awesome. It reminds me a lot of 50 Shades but mostly like Bared to You. Only thing is it’s a novella and a quick read but good none the less”.
Sidenote by Maryse—> Yep! Perfect recommendation, and definitely a “Bared to You” feel, but perfect for this list. My only hesitation was that it will consist of 3 short installments to complete the storyline, and installment #1 is the only part that has been released, so far. So we’re suffering a bit… 😉 Here is the reading order guide + I mini-reviewed the first book, there, too —> Raine Miller – The Blackstone Affair Series Reading Order
BDSM Themed Books (and this is a stretch, because as much as I enjoyed the lighter BDSM elements in the Fifty shades trilogy, it really wasn’t about that. It was about healing, trust and emotional growth). But… then again… some of these BDSM erotica novels certainly have a “trust” theme that eventually forges an emotional/love connection, so… why not? Plus, if the BDSM elements in Fifty intrigued you, maybe this small “alternative” lifestyle exploration will be just what you need! Beware… these can get pretty addictive, in fact, I’ve been wondering if perhaps I’m overloading on these as I had a funny reaction a few days ago. I shared it with my Facebook crew:
Maryse’s Book Blog: Ohhhh I think I’m reading too many *ahem* “alternative” books these days. It’s bad when I see a “submit” button and I immediately think something else. LOL!
Comfort Object (Comfort series) by Annabel Joseph
Beware with this one… I’m not recommending it to just everyone. Nope. While the “contract” was similar (rich famous actor meets young waitress and decides to “hire” her to become his public girlfriend) his contract includes a much harder edge to it for their personal interactions. A much harder version of the BDSM lifestyle then what you’ll find in Fifty. And this Dom took discipline to a whole other level. Some of my fellow readers loved it, and some… did not. Eeeeeeep!! This guy could be downright hateful at times. Even some of my friends that enjoy reading this type of erotica took serious issue with this “hero”. I’m nervous adding it to this list, but the “theme” is undeniably similar to the Fifty lifestyle in terms of the contract & D/s relationship. But again. This one is full-on BDSM and this guy can play some serious head-games. I would not recommend to everyone… just to those that are interested in reading a book that explores a much harder edge to this alternative lifestyle. There are a few scenes that are permanently burned into my brain that still have me wincing (and not just the pain aspect…). You have been warned! Oh P.S.!!! This *does* have that angsty heartache emotional connection/resistance thing going on. That’s always fun!! Check out my review here: Book Review – Comfort Object by Annabel Joseph
The Reluctant Dom by Tymber Dalton
While the storyline is not *quite* Fifty Shades, it does feature an intense romantic relationship, involving a “vanilla” character and the BDSM lifestyle. This one will bring you to tears. Absolutely. It made my “Books that Made Me Cry” list (and there aren’t that many on there). Check out my review here: Book Review – The Reluctant Dom by Tymber Dalton
Club Shadowlands [Masters of the Shadowlands 1] by Cherise Sinclair
More “vanilla” meets BDSM with an intense connection as the story progresses. Ahhhhh *love* even between two unlikely partners is so much fun to explore. Just ask the heroine. 😉 These are on the fluffier, lighter side of the alternative romance spectrum (not hugely angsty or anything, although it does have it’s moments). Still though, it had enough *oomph* to capture me. I love when the characters get in way over their heads, but their hearts won’t let them fully back out. This one is like that. Check out my book review here: Book Review – Club Shadowlands by Cherise Sinclair
Lover Unbound (Black Dagger Brotherhood, Book 5)
Vishous may be be a vampire, but he is a perfect addition to this list. Okay, admittedly, the BDSM aspect is pretty light in this book, but it IS a major part of this hero’s world. His lifestyle, preference and attitude oozes Dom. Alpha male, strong, rich, highly intelligent, and controlled in all aspects, but he looses his control when he falls for a human female doctor (kidnaps her and brings her to their compound) and keeps her for himself. This is one of the STEAMIEST (and most intense, emotionally speaking) books I’ve read, and when things start coming together for these two, his Dom to her sub will rock your world. Oh and. You’ll probably cry. Excellent, fulfilling read, and one of my all time favorites! Check out my Book Review – “Lover Unbound” by J.R. Ward
Books Similar in Intensity (these do not resemble it in “story” but addicted us through a similar amount of tension and angst)
Thoughtless AND Effortless by S.C. Stephens
You’ll be torn the entire way….this is not a “usual” romance read as it has a realistic selfish love aspect to it that is fleshed-out, no holds barred. You’ll be cringing and swooning, and cringing, and growling, falling in love, and having your heart smashed to bits (for a few different characters) all the way through. If you want terrible angst and angry emotions and deep deep love then Thoughtless is probably for you.Your heart will not be able to take the angsty turmoil, but it is exactly that feeling that many of us love, in a book, isn’t it? These’ll do that. Check out my review
Dream Man Series by Kristen Ashley
So you like rich, bossy, mysterious men, with *rough* pasts, do you? How did I know? hehe This series will take you along that similar path. From a lethal, razor sharp commando, to sexy detectives, to a biker gang leader that instills fear in everyone, this series has a bit of everything that we love. My two favorites, hands-down, are Mystery Man (book #1) and Motorcycle Man (book #4). These are best read in order (and my fellow readers swoon for all of them), however I didn’t read them in order. As long as you have book #1 under your belt, you can certainly jump to #4 and not lose anything from the story. In fact at the end of book #1, I desperately wanted to read “Tack’s” book right after (which is #4). Check out my review of Mystery Man and Motorcycle Man.
Beautiful Disaster by Jamie McGuire
I can’t help it. I HAVE to include this. This is yet another book that made me absolutely crazy in love, in agitation, in excitement. Oh yes. PLENTY of excitement. This story is not at all like Fifty Shades, but it does have a bossy, arrogant, strong, gorgeous hero that becomes overwrought with his love for a fellow college student (that is certainly not his “usual” type). His life changes once she enters it, and the journey to self-discovery that they are both forced to travel (or more like a roller coaster ride) absolutely gave me THAT feeling. To me, it belongs and continues to be one of my #1 favorite books forever. Check out my Book Review – Beautiful Disaster by Jamie McGuire
More to come… still working on adding to this section…
Books steeped in a “darker/moodier feel” of romance/erotica (by way of emotional pain/guilt, healing & trust – “poignant” books)
Dirty by Megan Hart and Broken by Megan Hart
I’ve read many of this author’s books, and absolutely loved them, but I didn’t necessarily connect them as “What to Read After Fifty”. Because while highly erotic, they aren’t “BDSM” themed, the heroes aren’t necessarily “alpha males” and and these are not your “traditional” romance novels. But after receiving numerous recommendations to put Megan Hart’s books on this list I’d have to say, I agree!
Because while these aren’t all out “romance” novels, chances are you’ll still fall in love. Just… slowly. Like the heroine, it might take you some time to *get there*. They are deeply poignant, gritty and raw, and you will face some uncomfortable moments. They certainly make the reader think. Best of all, there are some *gasp* worthy moments that you didn’t see coming, and even some swoon-worthy ones, too. They might not always be tied up neatly in a “bow”, but I have found them uniquely beautiful, wonderful to unwrap, explore and reflect on. Check out my book reviews of the first two (the ones that addicted me to this unique genre), and then check out the Megan Hart – Dirty / Broken Series Reading Order :
Reader Suggestions – (and books I found online that suggested a “Fifty Shades” feel in the reviews). PLEASE NOTE: I have not read most of these yet, so I can’t confirm for sure how “Fifty” they actually are, in my own opinion, but considering how so many of us have similar “book tastes” I am very excited to give these a try!
However I’d love to hear if you’ve already read them and what you think in terms of the “Fifty” comparisons…
Send your suggestions (either below in the comments section, or to me here), while I sort through the ones I’ve already received so that I may add them to this section.
This Man (This Man Trilogy) by Jodi Ellen Malpas <— recommended by Mercy: “The This Man series by Jodi Ellen Malpas is incredible. You will fall in Love with Jesse Ward. It is a series of three books. Definitely equal to Fifty Shades.” and Jamie says: “After reading the “This Man Trilogy, I can’t even remember what FSOG was about! I never would’ve known about trilogy if it wasn’t for this blog- Love this blog!” Leila says the same! ” Leila recommends this one! “This Man is amazing!! Jesse Ward (the protagonist) is soooo Hot and he’s full of secrets and surprises and the novel has a very good plot along with numerous steamy hot scenes. He had me hooked from start to finish. MUST READ!!”band Carol agrees: “I preferred Jesse to Christian……” (P.S. Here is the This Man Trilogy Reading Order)
Driven (The Driven Trilogy) by K. Bromberg <– Mercy also recommends these for a great option. “Fueled and Driven by K Bromberg are excellent books too. Anxiously waiting for the third book.” and Elaine says: “omg omg just absolute mind blowing i thought id never read anything more mind blowing than fifty shades but hey riley and colton omg what a story HOT HOT HOT when is crashed out so excited and cant wait x” <— I’ve started book #1 and can definitely feel the Fifty “feel”. 😉 Here is the The Driven Trilogy Reading Order
Fire After Dark: After Dark Book 1 by Sadie Matthews <— Andy suggests these: “Another for the FIFTY list:
“The after dark trilogy by Sadie Matthews Pleasure & pain go hand in hand.
Actually some of the thinking process used by the main female character Beth reminded me a little of the angst I felt from Kiera decioning/indecisioning from the thoughtless series except this series is more BDSM themed (not in the same league though re the relationship triangle complexities of Thoughtless just to be clear on expectations, but a very good read kept me hooked all the same couldn’t put it down)” and Meme agrees: “I finished reading fire after dark and secrets after dark by Sadie Mathews – I enjoyed it.”
In Flight (Up In The Air #1) by R.K. Lilley <— Susie recommends these saying: “I have to recommend The “Up In The Air” Trilogy by R.K. Lilley. The main characters are James Cavendish :Rich billionaire hotel heir and Bianca: A Flight attendant. These books have BDSM, love and will even bring tears to your eyes.” and Dorothy agrees saying: “James Cavendish fast became my next Christian Grey.” P.S. Here is the Up in the Air Series Reading Order
Anything He Wants by Sara Fawkes <— Patricia highly recommends these: “Anything He Wants by Sara Fawkes is a great read to continue the Fifty Shades feal. Lucy Delacourt makes sure she gets on the elevator at work at the same time as a gorgeous stranger that works in the same building as she does. After several weeks of secretly watching him she finds herself alone with him in the elevator. Things get hot fast and he turns out to be the owner of the company. This book has BDSM scenes but like Fifty Shades it has way more to it. This novel started out as a kindle mini series and turned in to a novel last fall. The hero, Jeremiah Hamilton, also has an outcast brother, Lucas, who tugs at your heart from the first time he appears in the the book. There is isaalso a sequel being written as a mini series now. Anything He Wants, Castaway. I’m trying to wait till it’s finished later this year but I don’t think I can. Read them both. You won’t be disappointed.”
Forty Shades of Pearl (Part One of The Pearl Trilogy) by Arianne Richmonde. Recommended by Cherise: “I have a book suggestion that I haven’t seen mentioned yet. It’s called 40 Shades of Pearl by Arianne Richmonde. It’s available on e-readers but not sure if it’s in print yet. It’s a good steamy read with the alpha male thing & he’s younger than the heroine.”
For His Pleasure by Kelly Favor: Rebecca brought this one to my attention: “I just spent 3 days engrossed with all 9 Kelly Favor “For His Pleasure” books. Most were short but none the less with the steamy stuff and the heart break and the hot guy billionaire.” —> For His Pleasure Series Reading Order
Brie’s First Day of Submissive Training (Brie, #1) by Red Phoenix: Tanna says: “Red Phoenix’s Brie series practically ruined 50 Shades for me. Just sayin. It was so much hotter than hot. Intensely sexy” and Mandi agrees! “I loved Red Phoenix! Her Brie series is AWESOME!! And for those that may not be aware, she continued the series!!! Check out the After Graduation Series, there’s 4 out now and number 5 is due out tomorrow or Sunday! I can’t wait! They are just as awesome, *squee*”
The Proviso (Tales of Dunham) by Moriah Jovan: Recommended by Kirac: “I highly recommend The Proviso (Tales of Dunham) by Moriah Jovan. It’s an insanely long book which adds greatly to its depth of exposition with the characters, but in now way does it drag. I really want to hype this author because her writing shows such intelligence and uniqueness. She’s self-published and edited, but I swear it is so professionally put together you cannot tell… The novel centers around 3 couples, but the intensity and angst evoke that Fiftyish vibe. Really a great book that more people should check out.”
Captive in the Dark (The Dark Duet: Book 1) by CJ Roberts: Recommended by Shary: “I was lost after FSOG until I found a duet written by CJ Roberts. This woman is amazing! You have to read Captive in the dark and the second book Seduced in the dark. I’ve read both books twice and have not been able to get the main characters out of my head.”
“Eightyfive” agrees, saying: “I highly recommend the duet series before you know Caleb will be replacing Christian in the top 5 fantasy men.” (SIDENOTE from Maryse: I DID enjoy both of these books and have reviewed them. I was “iffy” about suggesting them as an “After 50 Shades” read, since these are VERY dark (I’d say more like “Dark thrillers with a romance edge”). And while most of the BDSM books we’ve read are “consensual”, the “Dark Duet” blurs and completely erases those “lines”. For more details, check out my reviews: Book Review – Captive in the Dark & Book Review – Seduced in the Dark
JACKED (Tied with a Bow): recommended by kvictoriasmith: “Jacked by Raven Morris…an ink boiler.” <— (as per the day this was posted, the “short story” is free right now)
The Burn List by Julia Devlin (recommended by Carole): “I would add The Burn List by Julia Devlin. It’s a bit more quirky and less emotionally intense than 50, but worth the time :)”
Masters at Arms (Rescue Me) by Kallypso Masters (recommended by Carole): “As far as the sugar-kink/BDSM thing I would suggest the Masters At Arms series by Kallypso Masters . Great male and female leads, wonderful stories, and smile worthy HEAs :)” (Check out the Rescue Me Series Reading Order)
Letting Go (Siren Publishing) by Michele Zurlo (recommended by Sharona): “Another book that is Fifty Shadish is “Letting Go” by Michele Zurlo. This is book one in her award winning series called “The Awakenings”. These books do push the limits that I don’t normally enjoy, but the stories are great, the characters are endearing and the love related angst is pretty intense.” (side note from Maryse: sure enough, I’ve already seen the words “Fifty Shades” in reviews for this book…)
Knight (The Unfinished Hero Series) by Kristen Ashley (recommended by Kathy): “”Knight” by Kristen Ashley had me hooked from the very first page with the story line and the anti-hero. *BIG WARNING on that one for graphic content (not as much BDSM, but the imagery…wow) and language (Oh! WOW).” – side note from Maryse: I have read this, and while it wasn’t one of my favorites in Kristen Ashley’s repertoire, many did love it and I did recognize a “Fifty” feel every once in awhile.
Floor Time (Book #1 in the Stewart Realty Series) by Liz Crowe (recommended by Denise): “I LOVED the Realtors Series by Liz Crowe Though Jack is more frustrating than Christian, I liked Sara so much more than Ana.” —> Here is the Stewart Realty Series Reading Order.
Crash Into You by Roni Loren (recommended by Barbara): “”Crash into You” by Roni Loren. It was published Jan 2012. It gives a relationship, but the main heroine is going undercover into a BDSM lifestyle to find her sister. An old flame has decided to help her out by infiltrating with the Doms. It is a good read, and will have a sequel by this author.” —> Loving On the Edge Series Reading Order
His Sugar Baby (Siren Publishing Allure) by Sarah Roberts (recommended by Jodi): “His Sugar Baby by Sarah Roberts – Fiftyish but also alot like Unsticky but more angsty! :)”
The Vampire Queen’s Servant by Joey W. Hill (recommended by Kathryn): “… also liked the Vampire Queen series by Joey w. Hill for the BDSM theme as well.”
Ice Queen (Nature of Desire, Book Three) by Joey W. Hill (recommended by Mala): “Since you’ve mentioned Joey W Hill , i would recommend Ice Queen and Mirror of my Soul. Although you should know they are very difficult to read – way too hardcore . I actually had to skip a lot of pages to continue . Anyway , the love story is amazing.”
Black Butterfly by Sienna Mynx (recommended by Shannon): “Black Butterfly by Sienna Mynx is similar to 50 shades, not as good as it or Bared to you but I really enjoyed it. It has an overbearing rich guy just like Christian who falls for a ballet dancer the first time he sees her but she has issues with his past of how many women hes been with and how possessive he is. Anyway I think it is a good one to add to your list and if you haven’t read it you definitely should :)”
The Claiming of Sleeping Beauty (Sleeping Beauty Trilogy) by Anne Rice (recommended by Kriste): “Some older books, but well worth the read are Anne Rice’s Sleeping Beauty Trilogy (Very erotic) and Exit to Eden.” AND recommended by Mandi: “WAY SEXY! And I read it years before 50 ever came out and I have always LOVED it! ***WARNING*** this series is SERIOUS eroticism, way more than normal BDSM books and should be read only by those with an open mind who are not easily offended LOL……”
Hostile Takeover (Knights of the Board Room) by Joey W. Hill (recommended by Nicole): “Try out Hostile Takeover by Joey Hill. Its not a “light” as 50, but it has complex characters and a wonderful storyline.”
Wicked Ties by Shayla Black (and the series) (as recommended by Spencer Nikol): “Not sure if anyone had recommended these but they are hot! Shayla Black Wicked Ties Series. The first couple of books have some “sharing” if you know what I mean, but their all based around the bdsm stuff. But let me tell you, once you get to Surrender To Me and Belong To Me. OMG!”
On Demand (Black Lace) by Justine Elyot (as recommended by Catrina): “I did read a good book called on demand which is a black lace book. Now although heavily sexy and bdsm it was very well written, I did find myself giggling, and toasting champagne with my inner goddess for some of the you go girl moments! It’s a collection of short stories all set in a hotel and centred around/told by the protagonist Sophie.”
Becoming sage (The Keyhole Series) by Kasi Alexander (as recommended by marijee): “I have a BDSM recommendation: Becoming Sage by Kasi Alexander. I thought the book was well written and the characters well defined.”
Dirty and Broken by Megan Hart (as recommended by Craftyjulz): “I went ahead with Broken and then Dirty about 2 months ago. Wow! Talk about emotional depth & turmoil. And then here comes Fifty! Double Wow! Thank you for gathering this list. It’s the depth & angst, as you call it, that bring these books past just something to get your body to purr, into something that’s body, brain, & heart stirring. Am I expressing that right?”
The Siren (The Original Sinners) by Tiffany Reisz (as recommended by Patty): “Loved it!!! Well written, great character development and a interesting story to boot…” <—- sidenote from Maryse: I agree, good recommendation. While it didn’t grab me, emotionally as Fifty Shades did, it did had it’s own dark elements of hurt, healing, growth and love (in it’s “own” way). Oh and of course elements of BDSM. There’s more to come in this series, so maybe as time goes on I will “fall” for it.
Forbidden Pleasure (Bound Hearts, Book 8) by Lora Leigh (as recommended by Brandi): “I would also suggest Forbidden Pleasures. Mac and Jethro are so hot. Swoon worthy definitely” Jennifer recommends the whole series! —> Bound Hearts Series Reading Order
The Initiation of Ms Holly by K D Grace (as recommended by lynn): “hi my suggestion for your erotica list is “the initiation of Ms Holly” by k d grace……it’s very naughty xx”
LATEST “What to Read After 50 Shades” add-ons!! (09-05-2015)
- Hacker Series by Meredith Wild <— Lise recommends this one! “This series is similar to 50 Shades but much more erotic and I didn’t see it on your list, you should read it. The fifth book is coming out Sept. 15th. “The Hacker Series” by Meredith Wild. You wont be disappointed!” and Isa agrees!! “So glad I found this site. I just got done reading “The Hackers series” by Meredith Wild after reading FSOG and I am hooked. Similar to FSOG but with a deeper story line to it.“
- Quantum Trilogy by M.S. Force <— Sharon says this one! “Marie Force just released her first erotic trilogy under the name M S Force. It is the Quantam trilogy. Excellent read.”
- Up in the Air Series Reading Order by R.K. Lilley <— Jessie loved this one (and I should say the majority of our fellow readers!!) LOL! She says: “I have a recommendation for a series that I read after the Fifty Shades trilogy that haven’t been mentioned yet. The series is called ‘Up In The Air’ and its a trilogy that has a spin off trilogy called ‘Tristan and Danika’ that features the other two main characters that left the readers hanging on what happened between them. There is also a novella called ‘Lana’ for another main character that explains her story too. The series is a really good book to read after Fifty Shades because it does contain BDSM in it as well as a control freak billionaire that falls for a not as well of beautiful woman. The two main characters both have troubling pasts that raise conflicts like Fifty. It took me on the same emotional roller coaster as Fifty Shades did and I think that’s why it’s so good! The trilogy of Tristan and Danika, in my opinion, was even better and more emotional than Up In The Air, trilogy. I highly recommend these books they remind me so much of Fifty Shades that I sometimes get them mixed up! They are totally worth the time and money of buying and reading them! They’re both available in paper and ebook.” and Leila agrees! “R.K. Lilley is really good. Her Up in the Air Series is a MUST READ!!”
- Stark Trilogy by J. Kenner <— Leila also recommends this one! “Another series I would recommend is the Stark Trilogy by J. Kenner. Its first book is Release me. The book is really hot, has BDSM and is full of steamy scenes and Damien Stark is just wow!” Liz liked it! “The Stark Trilogy by J. Kenner is quite good” and Irish agrees! “It’s definitely along the lines of fifty, bared to you, and the in flight series by Lilley.”
- Fixed Trilogy by Laurelin Paige <— Krisztina likes these! “I just finished the Fixed trilogy by Laurelin Paige. I have to say that I was reading the 2. half of forever with you with tears in my eyes … now I am obsessed with Hudson Pierce I can recommend it only . I am sorry if my english isn’t perfect (I’m hungarian) “
- All or Nothing Series by C.C. Gibbs <— Sonja is loving this one! “Check out the series from C C Gibbs. 1) Knights mistress 2) all he needs.3) all he desires. Theres also Game night another book.I started on knights mistress and im hooked from page 4 awesome” and Calla agrees! “Don’t forget CC Gibbs books! Much better written than 50 shades!” (sidenote from Maryse: You’re probably wondering why the book titles don’t match up to Sonja’s suggestion. It’s ’cause in the UK they are titled per Sonja’s list, but in the US, the publisher changed the title to this one. 😀 Same books though!)
- The Game Maker (The Professional) Series by Kresley Cole <— Dione says this one! “The Professional by Kresley Cole (Immortals After Dark) – If you LOVED Fifty, you WILL love this.”
- The Marketplace Series by Laura Antoniou <— Hydrun recommends this one! “The best BDSM series by far (way better than fifty shades but also a lot more intense) is The Marketplace Series by Laura Antoniou. Currently there are 5 books but the 6th is approaching publication.”
- Never Understand – Johnthen Trent Trilogy by Miranda Mailer <— Summer recommends these! “My latest fave is Miranda Mailer. I read the 3 Never Understand books and then went straight on to the Dark Dreams Trilogy. These are hot, believable characters, delicious alpha males who are totally in control. Beth Kery and the crossfire books are also required reading, although the Miranda Mailer’s story lines are much better.”
- The Original Sinners by Tiffany Reisz <— Robina (and SOOOOO MANY) HIGHLY recommend this one! “Oh my gosh ladies, I only saw 1 post for The Original Sinners series by Tiffany Reisz here. I absolutely loved fifty shades and the series was my first real erotica read, however, I would choose the original sinners series over fifty shades any day now…..amazing story line that jumps backwards and forwards through the series, emotion, a lot of BDSM, great characters and although some of the story line is close to the edge, discovering why the characters are who they are is fascinating. Tiffany Reisz is an awesome writer!”
- Interview with a Master by Jason Luke <— Patricia loved this one! “I just read “Interview with a Master” OH. MY. GOD! Can’t wait for the sequel to come out! IT’S A MUST READ!!”
- Honor Series Series by Teresa Mummert <— Rachal says this is a must read! “I just finished reading the Honor series by Teresa Mummert, well finished until she releases book 4-6, and it was great. At least I think so. it has the same feel as fifty, except the dom(Wiliam) is a teacher and the sub(Emma) is/was one of his students. I’ve seen other reviews on the book and others absolutly hated it, but I find myself finishing the books in a day or so. I believe it’s an absolutly must read.”
- Tears of Tess (Monsters in the Dark Book 1) by Pepper Winters <— Linda suggests this one (although it’s definitely “darker”) “Love tears of Tess & Q by pepper winters”
- Consequences Series by Aleatha Romig <— Emily INSISTS!!! “I can NOT recommend anything BEFORE The Consequences Series by Aleatha Romig! It is the most mind boggling, dark, thriller, romance, surprising twists I have ever read! I an 51 years old and trust me, I have read thousands of books in my lifetime. This trilogy rates in my top 3 all time favorite series. She recently released the first companion book to be read only after you read the series because it will give secrets away. This is a MUST read for sure. Be warned, the first is very dark and you may want to stop, I did. Please don’t and you will be rewarded with some of the best written stories ever! Enjoy and after you do let me know what you think.” (my book review of book #1)
- The Knight Trilogy by Kitty French <— Patricia says this one fits! “I just read Knight & Play & Knight & Stay by Kitty French. Very good read in keeping with the Fifty Shades theme. Lucien Knight owns Adult clubs and Sophie interviews and lands the job of his PA. The story gets hot fast. Good story line, a lot of angst and great intense chemistry. I just started reading the third book which takes up the story of Sophie’s best friend Kara and Dylan Day in Knight & Day. If it’s half as good as the first two books, I’ll be well pleased.”
- The Dark Garden: A Novel by Eden Bradley <— Saki says: “If you liked Club Shadowlands, try the Dark Garden by Eden Bradley. It is a nice blend of romance, hot alpha, and sweet vanilla being introduced to ..erm.. more intense things”
- HIGH (The Indigo Lounge Series Book 1) by Zara Cox <— Holly found us this one! “I’ve just finished reading ‘high’ by Zara Cox…. would definitely recommend. Hot millionaire meets woman (who isn’t annoying, yay!) when she is about to board one of his luxury ‘adult’ private jets. Sparks fly and he has a dark secret….”
- Secret Trilogy by L. Marie Adeline <— And this is Shebang’s recommendation! “S.E.C.R.E.T. and Secret Shared by L. Marie Adeline. …Need to find the finances to create this “secret” society! Pure genius!”
- The Heart Has Reasons (A romantic-suspense thriller) by Martine Marchand <— Guisep says: “If you liked Fifty Shades — You’ll LOVE The Heart Has Reasons by Martine Marchand! Her first book and it’s solid gold.”
- Fire After Dark: After Dark Book 1 by Sadie Matthews <— Oh and look at this one that Andy loved! “The after dark trilogy by Sadie Matthews Pleasure & pain go hand in hand. Actually some of the thinking process used by the main female character Beth reminded me a little of the angst I felt from Kiera decioning/indecisioning from the thoughtless series except this series is more BDSM themed (not in the same league though re the relationship triangle complexities of Thoughtless just to be clear on expectations, but a very good read kept me hooked all the same”
- Collide: Book One in the Collide Series by Gail McHugh <— Vanessa loved it (so did I!!) “Just finished read a series by Gail McHugh, Collide and Pulse. Love, Love, Loved!!! Gavin Blake is by far my favorite book guy!!! beautiful love story!!! it’s a must read!!!!” (my book review)
- The Mitchell Family Series by Jennifer Foor <— And Stacey says this one! “I’ve done a lot of reading and have to toss out some of the series I have read the Mitchell family series by Jennifer foor it has 7 books”
- His Perfect Submissive by Alyssa Aaron <— Cece recommends this one! “His Perfect Submissive Alyssa Aaron It is similar to 50 Shades in the way blends traditional Romance story with a little bit of BDSM.”
Marcia has a bunch of recommendations for us! She says: “I read some books that have a compelling storyline and light bdsm feel to them I feel should be added. I looked through this list and didn’t see many of them.
- C D Reiss Songs of Submission Series and The Corruption Series
- Melody Anne Surrender Series
- Pamela Ann (so far anything she writes) but definitely the Chasing Beautiful Series and Torn Series
and the books that go a little further into BDSM
“I have been reading some of your posts. Crossfire series by Sylvia Day is pretty good. If you are into the big time erotica I suggest Maya Banks- Colters’ Legacy or Amber Eyes (Wild Book 1). Another series is the Men in Blue Series by Jayne Rylon. The New York Series by Lainey Reese. Hope this helps to satisfy the after 50 craving.”
Check out my other “favorites” lists: