But we are rained in SOLID for the entire weekend and I’m having to walk in my “rain boots” (my boyfriend calls them “Muck Boots??” but let’s just call them “rain boots”) to do yard stuff on one side of my yard (it’s an inch or so deep right now in rain), and I am not in the mood for it. Okay okay… they are the cutest things ever (and teeny tiny and how could I resist choosing such a happy boot design for a rainy day? They’re ridiculous but everyone giggles when I have ’em on), but still. It’s squishy out.
So this is the PERFECT day to put up an awesome post about awesome books instead. Consider this a HUGE “Blast from our Book Past” post, and Nancy is kicking it off!!! 😉
HOLY MOLY look at this awesome list!!! I totally get a kick out of this!! EXTREME blast from the past, because Nancy has been with me (with us!!) since practically my beginning and she and I have been chitchatting books (and life) for years.
Nancy: You have a real gift for reviews, that make you want to read the book without giving any “spoilers”.
…this is the best Book Blog & with so many recommending good books, that TBR list is old hat, & read what I have a “whim” for that day!
So many good books to read that every time I finish one I seem to add 5 more to my TBR list
And then she sent me a list of how it all started for her:
Nancy: I started a list quite a while ago of Best Books Recommended by Maryse. Kind of an Ode to Maryse List. Someday I will have to finish it!!
Nancy: I have been working on a list titled ODE TO MARYSE with all the books I’ve read because of your recommendation. Starts out: Defying The Odds by Kele Moon (love pumpkin pie), Sweet Dreams by Kristen Ashley, On the Island by Tracey Garvis-Graves, The Sweet Gum Tree by Katherine Allred, How to Kill a Rock Star by Tiffanie DeBartolo & 50 Shades of Grey…to be continued. This is just from 2011-2012!
And now… here. It. Is!!!!! 😀
ODE TO MARYSE (These are all older recommendations)
Nancy: My family persuaded me to join Facebook in July 2010. I was going through a paranormal book stage. I was fixated on Twilight since it was all my oldest and precious granddaughter talked about. Of course back then I didn’t own a Kindle until 2011, so we read hardback books.
When I found Maryse’s group, she had 600 followers & loved Twilight, too. I have been a faithful follower of hers ever since.
I didn’t remember or write down many books from 2010 recommendations, but these:
1. Fever Series by Karen Marie Moning. (P.S. Here are Maryse’s reviews:
- Book Review – Darkfever by Karen Marie Moning – 4 stars
- Book Review – Blood Fever by Karen Marie Moning – 4.5 stars
- Book Review – Faefever by Karen Marie Moning – 5 stars
- Book Review – Dreamfever by Karen Marie Moning – 5 stars
- Book Review – Shadowfever by Karen Marie Moning – 5 stars
Nancy: I am excited that there is a new edition of Elizabeth’s Wolf by Lora Leigh. I read this year’s ago, but this is suppose to have new material. It was cheaper to buy the paperback edition than the Kindle. I just happened to get some Amazon Gift Cards for Christmas. Merry Christmas to me!!
3. Twilight and all the following books. My granddaughter also made me read all the Harry Potter books, but I’m not counting them here. Just that I did read them. (Maryse’s 5-STAR Book Review – Twilight)
4. I now owned a Kindle and Maryse had me wanting to read the books by E L James FIFTY SHADES OF GREY & FIFTY SHADES DARKER. I also read FIFTY SHADES FREED, but not till 2012! Our Christopher went on to be very famous, but my Kindle editions are the old original. They tried to have me exchange them for the newer versions, but that is never going to happen. (Maryse’s 5-STAR Book Review – Fifty Shades of Grey & 5-STAR Book Review – Fifty Shades Darker & 4-STAR Book Review – Fifty Shades Freed)
Maryse: I’m with you, Nancy!! I purchased the original first edition print copies from the smaller publisher she had originally published to. LOVE THEM!!
Nancy: …I found your book Blog right after joining FB, & you had close to 700 “likes” & I thought she is “SO POPULAR”. I joined in & you were going on & on about “Fifty Shades” (I had never heard of & not many others had either). I went for it not even knowing what it was about & WOW!
Nancy: Every time I read a book I love it then becomes my favorite, so right now it would be Thoughless/Effortless/Reckless (S.C. Stephens).
Nancy: I loved On the Island, the new Uncharted: an On the Island Book, was really good. Tracy Garvis Graves really blended the two stories together well.
8. SWEET DREAMS by Kristen Ashley was a great recommendation and also made me a big fan of Kristen Ashley’s writing. SWEET DREAMS remains one of my all time favorites. (Maryse’s 5-STAR Book Review – Sweet Dreams)
Nancy: My all time favorite is Sweet Dreams & Tate. …Kristen Ashley Rocks!
9. HOW TO KILL A ROCK STAR by Tiffanie DeBartolo was a book that I was chicken to read. I finally did read the book and was glad. It all ends well. (Maryse’s 5-STAR Book Review How to Kill a Rock Star)
12. DEFYING THE ODDS (Battered Hearts) by Kele Moon. This is one of my favorites of Maryse’s picks. I never think of pumpkin pie without thinking of this book. I have since read the other two books in this series. (Maryse’s 4.5 STAR Book Review – Defying the Odds)
Maryse: OMG Nancy that initial scene of the pumpkin pie which he hates but he eats because she gave it to him… MY HEART. I fell in love HARD right from there. And I loved how moody and reclusive he is. That book deserves a re-read.
Nancy: And when his best friend Wyatt said, “Why are you eating pumpkin pie? You hate pumpkin pie!” This was priceless!
Maryse: RIGHT??? LOL!!! *swoooooooooon* Grumpy sweetheart.
JulieO: I just re-read DEFYING THE ODDS a couple of months ago. I love the pumpkin pie!
Nancy: Oh! I read this Blast from The Past back in 9/27/12. Another winner in the recommendations from Maryse!
Maryse: 🙂 So many great memories from back then!!
Nancy: This is such a good book!
Nancy: Do you remember how frustrated we were reading EXPERIMENT IN TERROR Series by Karina Halle? Dex & that awful girlfriend that he wouldn’t get rid of. Felt so sorry for Perry! Book after book, I thought how to get rid of her. Some were not very nice!!
Maryse: LOL!!!!! Ohhhhh the drama. It hurt so bad (and yet soooooo good).
(Maryse’s book reviews:)
- Book Review – Darkhouse by Karina Halle – 3.75 stars
- Book Review – Red Fox by Karina Halle – 4 stars
- Book Review – Dead Sky Morning by Karina Halle – 4 stars
- Book Review – Lying Season by Karina Halle – 5 stars
- Book Review – On Demon Wings by Karina Halle 4.5 stars
- Book Review – Old Blood by Karina Halle – 4 stars
- Book Review – The Dex-Files by Karina Halle – 5 stars
- Book Review – Into the Hollow by Karina Halle – 5 stars
- Book Review – And With Madness Comes the Light by Karina Halle – 5 stars
- Book Review – Come Alive by Karina Halle – 4 stars
- Book Review – Ashes to Ashes by Karina Halle – 5 stars
Nancy: THE MIGHTY STORM by Samatha Towle. I loved the scene where she was with her other half. And he was on stage & sang Mr. Brightside.
Nancy: Now I know what I am reading next, but I’ve been such a mess since finishing STOLEN that I haven’t been able to read anything. This sounds like it might be able to get over that mess.
Maryse’s Book Blog: Nancy. You’re just gonna walk into another mess, I’m telling you. But it was delicious fun!!! Oh it’s not YA, but it’s more of a “fade to black” in those kinds of scenes (and their aren’t many), so not steamy per se. But the drama aspect and the intense emotion, romantic angst and game playing. That makes up for it.
Nancy: …I’m all into Poughkeepsie (rereading) & next is Return to Poughkeepsie…
Nancy: Enjoyed Slammed & Point of Retreat.
Nancy: Back in 2013 you had recommended at book: True Love Story by Willow Aster.
It spanned years. He wrote beautiful love letters when he was off touring in a band and she was waiting…At different places in their lives, Sparrow is off to college in New York, and Ian is traveling the country with the band.
Over a five year span, Sparrow and Ian run into each other in unusual places. Each time, Sparrow has to decide if she can trust him, and if he feels the same for her.
It’s hard to not get caught up in the magic they have together. Until something so devastating comes to light that threatens to shatter everything they’ve built with each other.
Nancy: …having trouble finding that book that will take me back to BEFORE Arsen. I have started a few (set aside), finished two (had been sitting in my Kindle), but only BOUGHT one (that is so not me, but husband will like that).
Nancy: MAKING FACES. After reading that you were crying after only 7% in, then I downloaded & being a bigger sap was crying before 7%. My youngest son joined the National Guard after 9/11, leaving his young daughter behind when he was deployed. I was an emotional wreck reading this, as my son could play the part of Ambrose if it ever became a movie.
Nancy: Great Review & I loved, loved, loved this book!
42.HEARTBREAK WARFARE by Kate Stewart & Heather M. Orgeron. (Maryse’s 5-STAR Book Review – Heartbreak Warfare)
GABRIEL’S INFERNO SERIES
2. GABRIEL’S RAPTURE book 2 (7/13/12)
3 GABRIEL’S REDEMPTION book 3 (1/16/14)
4. Sorry never got to book 4!
Love Nancy’s book taste? Check out more of her favorites:
- Reader Favorites – Nancy’s Top 15 Reads for 2015
- Reader Favorites – Nancy’s Top Book Reads for the Year 2016
- Reader Favorites – Nancy’s 20 Best Books of 2017
- Reader Favorites – Nancy’s Best Books of 2018 List
- Reader Favorites – Nancy’s Best Books of 2019 List
- Reader Favorites – Nancy’s Top 20 Best Books of 2020 List
- Reader Favorites – Nancy’s Best of 2021 List
➔➔➔ Looking for more recommendations? Browse all of the reader favorites lists here on the blog. 😀